Sep 17, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin has a story up from over the weekend about the State of the A’s. The baseball state: good, obviously. The business state: nothing new, but we’re given the added color that some of the playoff tickets now on sale are going for $10. Ten bucks for the playoffs. Mercy.
Of course at the heart of it all is the whole San Jose Limbo and everything associated with it. On that, Shaikin offers the following nugget on how Bud Selig may try to resolve the three and a half year impasse:
There are indications Selig might rule by the end of the year. Yet, rather than say yes or no, Selig appears to be considering a ruling that could challenge both the A’s and Giants to fulfill certain criteria.
“I think there will be an effort to be Solomonesque,” said someone who has spoken with Selig but declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. “This is not a ‘yes or no’ sort of thing.”
Except that if the Giants are unwilling to compromise now, why would they enter into some sort of situation that requires them to “fulfill certain criteria?” Which is another way of saying “compromise.”
Given the long, rich history of Major League Baseball supporting these antiquated, anti-competitive territorial rights, why on Earth would the Giants not just sit back and wait to sue? And if you’re baseball or the A’s, why don’t you just force the move and see if the Giants do it?
I’m no advocate for war, but I can’t see how this gets resolved absent some shooting.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)