Sep 17, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
Ike Davis turned his season around in a big way after a horrible first two months — he’s hitting .261/.339/.549 with 22 homers and 59 RBI in 284 at-bats since June 12 — but the Mets have decided to close out the season with him on the bench and Lucas Duda at first base against lefties.
The timing seems odd, though as much as Davis has struggled against southpaws this year, he can’t really complain. He’s batting .168/.209/.323 in 155 at-bats against lefties, compared to .251/.345/.505 versus righties.
The Mets say they’re making the decision because they want to give Lucas Duda some additional time at first base. Duda has been hitting better of late (11-for-36 with five extra-base hits in September), and he’s now proven conclusively that he’s not an outfielder. It’s hard to see how he’s going to fit into the Mets’ plans going forward unless they truly want to make Davis a platoon players, which seems unlikely. He’d make a lot more sense over in the American League, and while he wouldn’t net a big return, he might bring the Mets some relief help this winter. This little showcase may be geared towards increasing his value.
As for Davis, well, he could use every at-bat against left-handers that he can get. Missing out on 20 or so over the final couple of weeks probably won’t make that much of a difference, but as big of a piece of the Mets’ future that he is, it’s rather strange that the team would reduce his role so close to the end of the year.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)