Sep 17, 2012, 6:34 PM EST
Ike Davis turned his season around in a big way after a horrible first two months — he’s hitting .261/.339/.549 with 22 homers and 59 RBI in 284 at-bats since June 12 — but the Mets have decided to close out the season with him on the bench and Lucas Duda at first base against lefties.
The timing seems odd, though as much as Davis has struggled against southpaws this year, he can’t really complain. He’s batting .168/.209/.323 in 155 at-bats against lefties, compared to .251/.345/.505 versus righties.
The Mets say they’re making the decision because they want to give Lucas Duda some additional time at first base. Duda has been hitting better of late (11-for-36 with five extra-base hits in September), and he’s now proven conclusively that he’s not an outfielder. It’s hard to see how he’s going to fit into the Mets’ plans going forward unless they truly want to make Davis a platoon players, which seems unlikely. He’d make a lot more sense over in the American League, and while he wouldn’t net a big return, he might bring the Mets some relief help this winter. This little showcase may be geared towards increasing his value.
As for Davis, well, he could use every at-bat against left-handers that he can get. Missing out on 20 or so over the final couple of weeks probably won’t make that much of a difference, but as big of a piece of the Mets’ future that he is, it’s rather strange that the team would reduce his role so close to the end of the year.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 54
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 204
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (203)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)