Sep 17, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
Ike Davis turned his season around in a big way after a horrible first two months — he’s hitting .261/.339/.549 with 22 homers and 59 RBI in 284 at-bats since June 12 — but the Mets have decided to close out the season with him on the bench and Lucas Duda at first base against lefties.
The timing seems odd, though as much as Davis has struggled against southpaws this year, he can’t really complain. He’s batting .168/.209/.323 in 155 at-bats against lefties, compared to .251/.345/.505 versus righties.
The Mets say they’re making the decision because they want to give Lucas Duda some additional time at first base. Duda has been hitting better of late (11-for-36 with five extra-base hits in September), and he’s now proven conclusively that he’s not an outfielder. It’s hard to see how he’s going to fit into the Mets’ plans going forward unless they truly want to make Davis a platoon players, which seems unlikely. He’d make a lot more sense over in the American League, and while he wouldn’t net a big return, he might bring the Mets some relief help this winter. This little showcase may be geared towards increasing his value.
As for Davis, well, he could use every at-bat against left-handers that he can get. Missing out on 20 or so over the final couple of weeks probably won’t make that much of a difference, but as big of a piece of the Mets’ future that he is, it’s rather strange that the team would reduce his role so close to the end of the year.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1