Sep 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The game is still going on — as I write this the White Sox are leading the Tigers 5-4 in the eighth — but a play that happened in the bottom of the fifth sums up the frustration of the Tigers season.
Bases loaded, one out and Dayan Viciedo at the plate. Doug Fister, a ground ball pitcher, needs a grounder to get out of the inning. He gets it! A grounder to short, the flip to Omar Infante at second to get one out, then …. oh no! The takeout slide. Watch. Two runs score, putting the White Sox up 5-4.
Except, for as great as that takeout slide by Alex Rios was — and it was friggin’ textbook — watch all the way through to the final slow motion replay. Even with Infante’s throw disrupted by the takeout slide, Prince Fielder could have and should have scooped that ball up. If he had, the runner is out, neither run scores and the Tigers head into the sixth up 4-3.
Bad infield defense and ground ball pitchers don’t go together very well. And it has killed the Tigers all year.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 0
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 11
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)