Sep 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
The game is still going on — as I write this the White Sox are leading the Tigers 5-4 in the eighth — but a play that happened in the bottom of the fifth sums up the frustration of the Tigers season.
Bases loaded, one out and Dayan Viciedo at the plate. Doug Fister, a ground ball pitcher, needs a grounder to get out of the inning. He gets it! A grounder to short, the flip to Omar Infante at second to get one out, then …. oh no! The takeout slide. Watch. Two runs score, putting the White Sox up 5-4.
Except, for as great as that takeout slide by Alex Rios was — and it was friggin’ textbook — watch all the way through to the final slow motion replay. Even with Infante’s throw disrupted by the takeout slide, Prince Fielder could have and should have scooped that ball up. If he had, the runner is out, neither run scores and the Tigers head into the sixth up 4-3.
Bad infield defense and ground ball pitchers don’t go together very well. And it has killed the Tigers all year.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)