Sep 17, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
More fun from Tony La Russa’s book. Not only does he still hold a grudge against Nyjer Morgan, but he holds one against ESPN’s Keith Law. Although, for reasons explained below, it’s a pretty misguided grudge:
Per Tony La Russa, he spent his final moments as a Card choked with rage over a Keith Law Cy Young ballot. twitter.com/timmarchman/st…
— Tim Marchman (@timmarchman) September 16, 2012
That “single writer” who “looked at some metrics” is Keith Law, who infamously left Adam Wainwright off his Cy Young Award ballot (which only allowed for three votes at the time). Except Law leaving Wainwright off the ballot did not cost him the award. Law — like many other voters — did not believe Wainwright was the best pitcher that year so he shouldn’t have voted him first. But even if he had voted Wainwright second or third, he would still have finished behind Lincecum.
So fine, go ahead and blame Law if you want to, La Russa, but just know it would only be the zillionth instance in your career when you got upset about something that is a product of your imagination.
UPDATE: As many commenters noted, La Russa has his facts wrong here anyway. Law had Wainwright on his ballot. He was third. He left Carpenter off. And this was 2009, not 2010.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)