Yunel Escobar and the homophobic eye black

Sep 17, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT

Because he’s bad at baseball,* Yunel Escobar has long been widely derided by fans of any team he’s played for.  But now there is a reason for the rest of us to loathe him. He’s quite possibly a homophobic jackass.

Caught by Jays fan @james_in_to and featured over at the Drunk Jays Fan blog, pictures taken of Yunel Escobar on Saturday clearly show that he’s wearing eye black stickers on which he — or someone else, which is why I used the “quite possibly” above — wrote the words “TU ERE MARICON,” which translates to “you are a fa**ot.”  As @james_in_to explains, in some cases it can mean “you are a p***y,” but the former is more widely accepted as the meaning.

The pic at the link is a closeup, but you can see it in this Getty Images photo as well:

source:

Whether it was Escobar who did it or someone else, it’s evidence of a severe and odious lack of maturity.  And I hope someone in Major League Baseball HQ takes notice and then takes action.

UPDATE: MLB spokesman Pat Courtney told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick that they are looking into the situation.

*Fine, you’re right that was a cheap shot. He’s bad this year, but he’s generally been a good player. Normally I’d delete that, but enough people have commented on it that to do so now would be unfair of me. I’ll own up to my displeasure with him in this instance making me say something inaccurate about the guy.

150 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. elmaquino - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Watch as a sane and reasonable discourse on homosexuality’s standing in modern culture takes place below.

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Best. Comment. Ever.

• dconn17566 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Who gives a shit what this guy says, maybe he is gay and coming out lol Either way aren’t there bigger issues in this world than worrying about who is a fan of Homosexuals???? Modern Culture is not based on what one person says…..it’s called freedom of expression…douchebag!!!

• elmaquino - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

You’ll note that the comment didn’t take a stance, just predicted the armageddon of comments like this that were inevitably coming.

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

And try again…douchebag.

Freedom of expression, derived from the 1st Amendment, only protects you against government censorship.

Nothing more moron.

So yes, he can say something that announces to the rest of us what a raging, bigoted idiot he is.

And then we’re free to ridicule him, his employer is free to punish him (if you doubt me, go ahead and write “n***er” on some clothes and go to work tomorrow) and readers are free to comment about it all to their hearts content.

Escobar (and tools like you), however, are not free to make a completely off-base “free speech” defense since the government isn’t going to toss him in jail.

• mightymike1250 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

If you’re looking for sane and reasonable discourse, TURN BACK NOW!!!

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Second. Best. Comment. Ever.

• yahmule - Sep 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Elmaquino, thank you for the best laugh I’ve had all day.

2. dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Bud should make an example of him. Suspend him the rest of the season.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Bud will see it as evidence that no one wants a replay system in MLB.

3. adeedothatswho - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Clearly, Yunel was referring to himself. He’s the only MARICON I see. He’s a piece of shit.

• The Common Man - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Boy are you ever not helping. He may be a homophobic douchebag, but if you’re just going to reuse the term, you are allying yourselves with the homophobic douchebags. So…um…stop it.

• adeedothatswho - Sep 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM

You are correct, sir. I withdraw my statement. At least that part, anyway.

4. El Bravo - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

DOUCHENOZZLE ALERT!

1. Randy Miller – South Jersey Courier-Post (abuses BBWAA privileges, HOF vote by submitting blank ballots; also invented superhero Saberboy, which is cool)
    2. Luke Scott – perennial all-star douchenozzle. Luke says, “you don’t have to worry about me unless you’re a criminal or communist.”
    3. Ryan Braun – for cheating and also for not cheating, either way we will likely never know the truth, and that is annoying.
    4. Jon Heyman – CBS (for having a documented history of talking up and selling Scott Boras clients to ball clubs)
    5. Nick Swisher – seriously, do I need a reason?
    6. C.J. Wilson – Tweeted Napoli’s cell number as “prank” b/c Napoli said he was looking forward to hitting HRs off of him this season.
    7. Matt Bush – DUI and for ruining his career
    8. Joba Chamberlain – for thinking he is capable of using a trampoline with his fat toady ass
    [Joba’s addition was rescinded given how unlucky the poor bastard was and he was just trying to be a good dad.]
    8. Bobby Jenks – DUI (influence mainly muscle relaxers…), amazing quote “When Deputy Sutphin asked Jenks if he had taken anything else other than the muscle relaxers, he told the officer that he “was going to be honest with you, I was just leaving Babes because I hit a car. I just had to get out of there.”
    9. Delmon Young – Assault; anti-Semitism; generally just a D-to-the-nozz all around.
    10. Pedro Gomez – BBWAA voter with no sense.
    11. Cole Hamels – for beaning Harper for being 19 and talented.
    12. Rob Dibble – Because he shoulda never left this list as the inaugural douchenozzle.
    13. Bud Selig – repeatedly suggests, nay insists, that no one wants more instant replay in baseball.
    14. Hawk Harrelson – homerism reaches new bounds by repeatedly calling out umps for hurting the “good guys” with bad calls.
    15. Bobby Valentine – per Alex K, “Bobby V. isn’t on the list yet? He said a coach taking time off to tend to his sick kid was ‘on vacation.’ Total nozzle statement, bro.”
    16. Yunel Escobar – Wore “TU ERE MARICON” eye-black like a douchenozzle would do.

• taxed00 - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your “he hurt my feelings” list.

• dconn17566 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Someone has way too much time on there hands when they actually have a list of d-bags lol

• raysfan1 - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

This is a long-term thing with El Bravo. I believe he has his list on his hard drive and simply adds “worthy recipients” as they earn placement on his list of shame, then copies/pastes it here. Takes him no more time than me typing this.

• El Bravo - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

you all must be new

• badintent - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

NICK went deep again, grand slam. too bad for you. Take your meds and beat your dog ….. again.

5. mightymike1250 - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM

And this is baseball news because…………………………

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Because it involves a baseball player doing something notable, infamous and/or otherwise newsworthy.

• mightymike1250 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought HBT was about the game.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

It’s because Craig looks for any story that allows him to put off writing stories about how awesome Derek Jeter is…but he’s only postponing the inevitable.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Agreed. Hardball talk should consist only of standard boxscores.

• dconn17566 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It’s not….someone got there panties in a bunch…lol

• biasedhomer - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Craig is just bitter the Braves got fleeced, having to deal with Alex GOzalez at SS will do this to you.

6. schlom - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Maybe it’s a message for one of his gay friends?

7. migoli - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

wow, are we really that sensitive that the word fa**ot offends people??? many many people use it as a generic insult, so depressing that a grown ass man cant use a widely used generic insult without some attention hungry “sports write” making him out to be the devil himself.

• dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

If that word doesn’t offend people, our society is shot.

• Cyn - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yes, ‘we’ are really that sensitive. It isn’t a word that should be used as an insult regardless of how many people still use it.

And it isn’t ‘generic’ it is very specific.

• mattyflex - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If it’s really used as a general insult, I’d like to submit that your post makes you look like a faggot.

Not very general, is it? It really makes it sound like I’m implying you’re homosexual, not that you’re an intolerant dickhead with little regard to culture.

I can’t remember the last time, if ever, I referred to someone under any circumstance as the above “insult”. Perhaps, what’s most embarassing, is that apparently it is planted so firmly in your vocabulary. And yes, it offends people. I don’t think it has anything to do with sensitivity. I think you’re one of those people that probably still uses the “n-word” and calls people insensitive for taking offense to it. That really is a clown comment.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’m a homophobe. Homosexual behavior is not normal.

• dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

David? Oh, I love boys named David.

• frank433 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

daviddmsvcp, you made me think of a quote I saw recently:

“I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole.”

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

“David? Oh, I love boys named David.”
        Well, let me know how that works out for you.

We should not call each other names. You have to understand, I was born that way. I have no choice. Please accept me for what I am. I am not hurting you.

• The Common Man - Sep 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

“David, baby, you were born that way [straight and homophobic]? Thanks for the most wonderfully ironic comment ever.”

Yes, Common Man Baby, I was born heterosexual and homophobic. I’m afaraid that I don’t quite get your little joke. Can you point out exactly where the irony is?

• The Common Man - Sep 18, 2012 at 6:25 AM

You don’t find anything ironic about you claiming to have been born heterosexual, and simultaneously suggesting that LGBT people weren’t born queer? I find that amazing.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

“suggesting that LGBT people weren’t born queer? I find that amazing.”
        The only thing that is amazing is your lack of critical thinking skills. I made no such suggestion. In fact, my statement “You have to understand, I was born that way. I have no choice. Please accept me for what I am.” suggests, or implies, that I acknowledge that some people are born with homosexual tendancies.

• hammyofdoom - Sep 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Since when HASNT it offended people? I truly hope you are joking, otherwise I’ve lost a little faith in humans. The last time I heard someone use that word was either in high school or dumb jocks that think that college is still high school, and every other person I know knows that that is an offensive word. To me, this and the N word are neighbors on the “bad no no words” list, the only time I’ve even heard it said “jokingly” is when its in the 3 letter form and its south park or something. Seriously?

• teaspoon1731 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

have you ever played xbox against 12 year olds? cus you hear it a lot then. that and things about your mother.

8. randygnyc - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Ruh-roh. Not cool. He can think whatever he wants privately. But social/religious statements do NOT belong on a baseball field.

• Old Gator - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Not even politically incorrect ones?

9. bravesfaninbama - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Someone may very well have been pranking him. All of you smearing Escobar should probably wait until the facts come out.

• Panda Claus - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The wisest statement of the day.

Why not save the venom until it’s clear he was the one behind this move? If he did do it, by all means, let him know what you think about it.

• Old Gator - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I agree. I’m just gonna kick back with a cold one and finish reading The Ox Bow Incident.

10. stabonerichard - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Yes, clearly Yunel Escobar fears/hates gay people.

11. proudlycanadian - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Contrary to Craig’s initial, comment, Escobar is a good baseball player. I realize that he was not popular in Atlanta which happens to be the team that Craig roots for; however, he is much better than any ss Atlanta has used since he was traded. As far as the homophobia claim, it is unfortunate; however, I suspect that a rather large percentage of baseball players are homophobic.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No offense, but Yunel’s numbers don’t make him MUCH better than the SS the Braves use currently.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Saying he is better than any SS the Braves have used since his departure really isn’t saying a whole lot here.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

For those thumbing down, in less than a third of the games played (mostly because of injury) Andrelton Simmons has exactly one third of the stats Yunel has put up with an OPS over 150 points higher and a BA over 40 points higher. Granted it’s a small sample size, but on the same note you can’t say Yunel is worlds better than him.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Don’t forget Andrelton’s hustle and his good attitude.

If you recall, the Braves didn’t dump Yunel because he didn’t produce.

Hence, the current story.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Exactly. The Braves didn’t make what seemed to be a lopsided trade because they thought so much of the Blue Jays’ offer or were fooled by it, but because Yunel had a horrible attitude while he was here. And if a player’s manager like Bobby Cox had issues with him, you know that maybe it just wasn’t a good fit for him to be here.

Tangentially, LaRussa had similar issues with Rasmus and in spite of that I think the Cardinals feel alright about sending him to Toronto.

• Alex K - Sep 17, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Don’t forget that Simmons might be the best defensive SS in baseball, too.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

*Thank you for the correction Craig.*

12. braddavery - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It can mean “you are a pussy”, so everyone automatically assumes he meant it to mean “you are a faggot”? Seriously? This is a huge problem in today’s society, the absence of giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

• dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Trust me, there are plenty of other words in Spanish for pussy. The way it’s being used above isn’t saying anybody is a pussy.

• braddavery - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Unless I know facts and/or the whole story, I’m not one to judge.

• paperlions - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Really?

Let me ask you (or anyone using the benefit of the doubt, maybe that isn’t what he meant tact), would you write faggot on your eye black when you meant pussy? Or would you choose to write pussy, so as not to be mis-understood?

No matter what he says he meant. Doing such a thing at all is pathetic and immature. Doing it with a slur just makes it worse.

13. tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, and suggest that the term is probably the equivalent of American males using the term “bitch” against other males.

Yeah, it CAN mean homosexual in certain instances, but it can also mean multiple other things.

I don’t know the culture though. I know they Mexican gang members use the term liberally in movies and shows.

• dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’m Spanish.

14. largebill - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Every time something like this comes up I’m amazed that otherwise intelligent people don’t know what the word “homophobia” means. It seems as thought people assume it can be substituted for racist if the action or comments were directed at someone of a different race. The second half of the word is phobia which means an irrational fear of the root word. If a teenager calls his buddy “gay” for some stupid reason it does not necessarily mean he has an irrational fear of gay people. Most likely he isn’t even thinking of gay people at all. If Escobar or a teammate wrote something stupid on his eye black it does not mean they have an irrational fear of gay people.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

• mightymike1250 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The word “phobia” comes from the Greek word “phobos” which means “fear.” It has no other meanings. So, while Webster has expanded the meaning to include how our culture views phobias, in a strict technical sense largebill is absolutely correct.

• schlom - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

The third part of that definition is incorrect. I understand that people when people say homophobia they are really referring to the third part of that definition, but incorrect usage doesn’t make it right.

I think largebill’s point is that if you use the correct definition of homophobia it doesn’t necessarily mean that person is “bad.”

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

mightymike, you can’t argue with the definition. It’s the accepted definition as defined by the body that governs that. If it changes over time, it changes over time. You can’t argue with that.

We don’t speak Greek. It may very well be derived from Greek, but just like the spelling of the word changed, so has the definition.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I’m a homophobe.

For example, I avoid places where this is homosexual activity. I would NEVER go into a homosexual drinking establishment, for example.

I have children. I would not allow my children to go someplace where there was homosexual activity.

Therefore, I am a homophobe.

15. thatyankeedude - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

No our society is shot when policies are forced upon us by a giant corrupt government. Is this a nice thing to put on eye black? No. Should it be overblown and overhyped? No. Overall this is an expression of speech. You may not like what he says but he is entitled to say it. As long as he is not threatening anybody he can pretty much say what he wants even if it seems mean.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That’s actually not true when you HAVE AN EMPLOYER.

Go to work tomorrow wearing a shirt with the n-word on it, and then when they fire you claim you were only expressing free speech.

(Hint: Since no one recognizes this….Free Speech ONLY INVOLVES THE GOVERNMENT. The GOVERNMENT can’t punish you for it. SOCIETY can.)

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Take your incorrect interpretation of the 1st Amendment elsewhere.

The only thing it does is prevent you from being tossed in jail for expressing a view. It shields you from government censorship & nothing else.

Society, your employer, the legions of readers on every baseball related blog around the world are fully entitled to call you out for being a bigoted assclown for doing it.

• jjschiller - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Who said anything about the government, teabagger? If MLB wants to fine him, they are certainly within their rights.

Further, its a freedom from prosecution. Not a freedom from judgement.

You judge that there’s nothing wrong with it. I judge that you are obviously a moron.

• A.J. - Sep 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Awesome, using “teabagger” as an insult on a post about using faggot as an insult. PROGRESS!

The frequency that members of the party opposite use that term to insult Tea Party members is mindblowing.

I don’t like their politics either, but that’s right near the top of the list of ridiculously childish rhetoric that is for some reason seen as acceptable in partisan politics.

16. randygnyc - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Escobar’s ONLY possible defense is that if he is NOT literate in Spanish.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

But it’s another man’s opinion. It may not be what you agree with, it may not be what I agree with, but here is the thing, it’s called Freedom of Expression….something that is missing in today’s MEDIA world, because that’s what this whole thing represents, a freedom of expression. But, no, let’s put this on the front page, because quite frankly, this is a slow news day. Someone has a case of the “Mondays” it seems.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Jesus Christ.

It never ends with you people.

IT’S NOT FREEDOM OF SPEECH OR EXPRESSION BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT ISN’T INVOLVED.

Does NO ONE pay attention in Civics classes anymore?

Every single article about people being offended IT IS THE SAME CRAP.

• jjschiller - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

YOU MUST BE ILLITERATE.

That, or you, GASP, don’t ACTUALLY understand the purpose of the Constitution

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Sigh, I’m glad the posters above gave an accurate explanation of the First Amendment but saddened to see you have an misunderstanding of “Freedom of Expression.” Just as Yunel is free to express whatever views he may have, the media (and society in general) is free to say what they feel about it and frankly judge him for it.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

“STOP ATTACKING TEBOW! HE HAS FREEDOM OF SPEECH! HE CAN TALK ABOUT JESUS! STOP TRYING TO INFRINGE ON HIS RIGHTS AS AN AMERICAN TO LOVE JESUS AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH ABOUT IT!”

-53% of posters in any article posted about Tebow anywhere.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Okay @tfbuckfutter:

IT’S A FREEDOM OF OPINION!!!!!!

Is that better? Typing in bold letters make you feel better?

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Again Kevin, just as he has the freedom of “opinion” of make those statements, others (including the media, employers etc) have the same freedom to let him know they don’t agree. And what they think of people who have similar opinions. What you’re describing isn’t freedom of opinion, it’s a desire to say whatever you want and have no social consequences for it. So yes, say what you please but don’t expect others to curtail their ‘freedom of opinion’ for your sake.

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Why is it that all these tools who wave their “pocket Constitutions” at us never read, nor understand, the things?

Free speech = the gov’t can’t toss you in jail for something.

Nothing else.

Society, friends, neighbors, your employer, customers can all ridicule you to their heart’s content.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Why doesn’t anyone get part of what I originally wrote was SARCASTIC? But my OPINION still is we are all trying to be too politically correct on a sports board. The irony there.

17. stabonerichard - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’ve already received a tweet from @BanditDeW, who explains, “All the latin players I ever played with used that as a generic curse word. Not a slur directed at a specific class.”

Assuming there’s some validity to that, this sounds sorta like if a gringo soccer player told a Latin player ‘you are a cocksucker’ (or had it written on his headband or something) and some Latin media member tried to spin it into some sort of controversy about anti-homosexual hate speech, without any real understanding of the context & common use of the word.

A dumb, immature phrase, but another example of someone else trying to fit it in with their own agenda and completely over sensationalizing & misconstruing it in the process.

• djpostl - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Still doesn’t mean a damn thing. Dumb ass trailer hicks in Alabama view n***er as a “generic” term also.

They string that damn thing in with all kinds of words, even when not talking specifically about African-Americans.

18. canucks18 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So many of you writers are such a joke. You call him a “bad” baseball player while you’re staring at your computer probably played little league and sat on the bench. These people don’t owe you slouches anything yet you continually throw comments out that you can clearly tell are complete garbage just to try and get people to comment with verbal diarrhea just like you put out.
    Bloody morons…

• jjschiller - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Thats, just…. It’s… It’s beautiful.

It’s beautiful!

Thank you, Canucks. Thank you.

• frank433 - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

So many of you posters are such a joke. You call him a “bad” baseball writer while you’re staring at your computer probably taking online college literature courses and not reading your homework. These writers don’t owe you slouches anything yet you continually throw comments out that you can clearly tell are complete garbage just to try and get people to comment with verbal diarrhea just like you put out.
      Bloody morons…

• cur68 - Sep 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM

WTF? Please excuse my countryman there: he must be on the moose piss again. Someone head over to his igloo, chip the ice off his drinking hand, and pry the moose juice away from him, eh?

19. schlom - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’m happy that Craig finally came around the conservative Republican view that we should impose our culture on everyone, regardless of where they are from.

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

No, he’s taking the new liberal view- if you don’t agree with someone on a subject, you label that person as a hatemonger, racist, something-phobe, or a zealot. Anyone will do…

20. jjschiller - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Explain, if you will, why I should feel differently if you called me a cocksucker than I would feel if you called me a faggot…

• dondada10 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You shouldn’t. Both terms are disparaging toward homosexuals.

21. thatyankeedude - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Here I’ll do something nice for all you liberals out there. You are always right. Without you we would be nothing please save us from ourselves. Clearly we are not smart enough to conduct ourselves. I wish I could have somebody make opinions for me because I just can’t seen to do it myself. Please help me liberals. I can’t live without you! NOW that I have done my good deed building you clowns up now im going to tear you down like the Berlin wall. What makes you think that you think that you are morally higher than everyone else even though you have no morals? I’m confused that since you all seem so accepting that you can’t accept those who differ from your views. Matter of fact some of you go as far as to call others even worse names than faggot. So please tell me why I should think like you because you do the same exact things but even worse.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I’m sorry but this rambling diatribe has nothing to do with this story, Craig mentioning the Yunel story has nothing at all to do with political stances/worldviews. Also, when the media/person/society confronts a public statement/expression they disagree with, they are exercising the same right you’re so fervently claiming to defend. So yes, if Yunel WAS making this statement (I’m not so sure about this myself) then just as he has that right, I have the right to call him out on it.

• drewsylvania - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

This is hardly a liberal phenomenon.

• cur68 - Sep 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Are you drunk dude?

22. mydadyourmom - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I hope we dump this guy at years end. I don’t care about his black eye statements but he never hits and has an ugly pouting look in his face all the time.

23. mightymike1250 - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

WOW! If you want to read something really controversial on HBT, Matthew Pouliot just reported that the White Sox clipped the Tigers to open up a three game lead! How does that kind of trash make it on to a sophistacted sports column like HBT?

24. drewsylvania - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Craig, I liked it better when you weren’t trolling inaccurately. Whatever kind of asshole Escobar might be, he’s not bad at baseball. Guy put up above-average OPS+ in 4 of 6 years in the league, while playing shortstop.

25. sictransitchris - Sep 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’d like to think that Yunel can apologize, learn from his mistake and we can all move on but I’ve got a feeling GLAAD will be out for blood on this one.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM

GLAAD??!?! GLAAD??!!!??!?!!??
      Oh my god, I’m sooo scared. Here comes GLAAD!!!!!!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5183)