Sep 18, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Albert Pujols played Sunday after his wife gave birth early that morning, but he’s not in the lineup for Tuesday’s game against the Rangers. Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times says it’s “believed” that he’s back in St. Louis with his wife.
Pujols’s wife gave birth to the couple’s fifth child and third daughter at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. Oddly enough, that day came nine months and 10 days after Pujols inked his $254 million contract with the Angels.
Pujols’ absence comes with the Angels opening up a three-game series against the Rangers at home tonight. They’re 7 1/2 games back of Texas, 4 1/2 games back of Oakland and three games back of the second wild card with 15 games left to play.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)