Sep 18, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Albert Pujols played Sunday after his wife gave birth early that morning, but he’s not in the lineup for Tuesday’s game against the Rangers. Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times says it’s “believed” that he’s back in St. Louis with his wife.
Pujols’s wife gave birth to the couple’s fifth child and third daughter at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. Oddly enough, that day came nine months and 10 days after Pujols inked his $254 million contract with the Angels.
Pujols’ absence comes with the Angels opening up a three-game series against the Rangers at home tonight. They’re 7 1/2 games back of Texas, 4 1/2 games back of Oakland and three games back of the second wild card with 15 games left to play.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)