Alex Cobb, Jose Molina had to be separated in Rays dugout

Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 9.32.31 AM

In the middle of last night’s loss to the Red Sox, starter Alex Cobb and catcher Jose Molina had to be separated in the Rays dugout after an altercation that manager Joe Maddon called simply “boys being boys.”

However, according to Greg Zeck of MLB.com Molina refused to speak to the media afterward and Cobb insisted to reporters that he wasn’t the one who started the fight:

That’s the one thing I want to be clear, is that I wouldn’t approach a teammate like that. That was not instigated by me. … I got some texts from people [who] think it was me, but that wasn’t instigated by me at all.

Based on the MLB.com video it looks like Cobb is right about Molina doing the instigating or at least being the far more vocal of the two at the beginning of the incident. Cobb also said that he didn’t speak to Molina after the game, which suggests it wasn’t exactly squashed immediately.

Certainly the Rays can’t be blamed for being frustrated as their playoff hopes slip away, but if Molina was the one instigating the dugout altercation it’s interesting considering the light-hitting veteran catcher was signed specifically for his ability to handle a pitching staff and help young pitchers like the 24-year-old Cobb.

Also: I’m setting the hypothetical betting line at Molina -350 over Cobb.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ah, the counter balance to last week’s “Winning Is Fun” article in the Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/in-nationals-clubhouse-thick-skin-required/2012/09/15/fb25aff4-f908-11e1-8398-0327ab83ab91_story.html

• natslady - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, losing isn’t fun even when you’re winning. Remember this?

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I do! Seems like so long ago, but it was just last year. Amazing how the Nat’s fortunes changed so quickly. If I ever get a chance to meet Jim Riggleman I’m going to thank him profusely for getting the hell out of the way so that we could get Davey in the dugout. Riggleman made the Nats look foolish at the time, but I’d say that it has worked out pretty well.

2. randomdigits - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I am willing to wager that his pitch framing abilities also played a part. Best in the business at pitch framing.

• steve7921 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I used to agree with your statement…but after watching this year, he has had numerous wild pitches/passed balls because he tried to frame a pitch and the ball went off the end of his glove, so he might be good at framing but it can be a detriment also. Add in his inability to block pitches and lack of hitting and he has been a big disappointment.

• thereisaparty - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Jose has never been the best at blocking pitches (see Bojan’s “Another One Bites the Dust”), however his PB and WP are in line with the rest of his career. I choose to believe the analyatical studies regarding his framing abilities instead of your confimation bias.

(And that works both ways. The amount of Molina framing .GIFs I have seen this season has been obscene)

3. cur68 - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I watched this unfold on TV. I think it revolves on Cobb crossing him up, causing a passed ball. Jose looked ready to kill him. It sure looked like Molina said a lot of stuff to Cobb in the dugout, all the while Cobb was heading over to him with a certain look in his eye. Cobb was lucky they didn’t come to blows. Jose grew up duking it out with Benji & Yadi growing up. That’s gotta be some Rocky-style training.

• pilonflats - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

HAHAHA

“Cobb was lucky they didn’t come to blows. Jose grew up duking it out with Benji & Yadi growing up. That’s gotta be some Rocky-style training”

4. randygnyc - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Strange. Moldina got buzzed the inning before. In the sixth, Cobb buzzed and hit iglesia. I thought at the time Molina must have been happy that the pitcher had his back. apparently, I was distracted and my attention was elsewhere because I missed the dust up.

5. theawesomersfranchise - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Craig would say that Molina is a bad teammate because he refused to answer reporters questions “forcing” those reporters to ask his teammates.

Any unanswered question a reporter might have FORCES that reporter to ask a teammate, and since Craig KNOWS that ALL players hate being asked a question that a teammate refused to answer, that makes Molina a bad teammate…..

Yup

• cur68 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

/..\

….er, what? I recall Craig’s reasoning behind teammates not liking to answer for one another. It was contextual and specific about certain things. Like PEDs violations, off field stuff, or critical mistakes during play (like blowing a non-save into a loss). A disagreement with a teammate that nearly comes to blows, though…even IF Jose answers questions, his teammates STILL get asked questions. Also, it is practically de rigueur to NOT talk about this sort of thing, where teammates nearly come to blows. Your screed makes no sense, but is a whitewash generalization to make a point that isn’t worth making due to its inherent disregard for context and case.

Also, I think you might be insulting my Faux Brother, Jose Molina. This is an insult to my Tribe of Molina. I demand satisfaction. We must fight. Choose your weapon from the Tools Of Ignorance and prepare to take a beating.

• theawesomersfranchise - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Yes, Craigs interviews got deep into the issues of “contextual and specifics”.

Players specifically listed the moments when they begin to consider a teammate being a bad one when certain criteria is met….just like you have….

Here’s some reality for you and Craig.
        Players never want to answer ANY questions about another player when it comes to the game.
        Simple as that
        Some people like to think because one or two players in MLB history get upset at their teammates when they don’t answer a reporters questions. When in reality every athlete in every sport faults that reporter for putting a mic in front of their face to ask about someone else.

6. bengalsucker - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

[sarcasm] Imagine that, a Molina picking a fight. That never happens. [/sarcasm]

7. pogodog7 - Sep 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Molina is a big fat slob. He is no more an athlete than Chris Christy.

8. ericellers - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Got him a world series ring and he was the last Yankee to hit a HR in the old Yankee stadium. You know who was the first to hit one in the new Yankee stadium?

• jaguar49 - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Yes, well, since this is an article about the Rays it must seem perfectly reasonable to some morons to make this about the Yankees. Like the world revolves around the freakin’ Bronx. Nobody gives a rat’s ass who hit the first home run in the new Yankee Stadium.

• jackdiamond77 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Hey jack Wagon go eff ya self and that goes 4 ya bs rays team as well. LOSER

9. davemvh - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Molina is and always has been a hot headed douche.

1. H. Pence (2182)