Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
In the middle of last night’s loss to the Red Sox, starter Alex Cobb and catcher Jose Molina had to be separated in the Rays dugout after an altercation that manager Joe Maddon called simply “boys being boys.”
However, according to Greg Zeck of MLB.com Molina refused to speak to the media afterward and Cobb insisted to reporters that he wasn’t the one who started the fight:
That’s the one thing I want to be clear, is that I wouldn’t approach a teammate like that. That was not instigated by me. … I got some texts from people [who] think it was me, but that wasn’t instigated by me at all.
Based on the MLB.com video it looks like Cobb is right about Molina doing the instigating or at least being the far more vocal of the two at the beginning of the incident. Cobb also said that he didn’t speak to Molina after the game, which suggests it wasn’t exactly squashed immediately.
Certainly the Rays can’t be blamed for being frustrated as their playoff hopes slip away, but if Molina was the one instigating the dugout altercation it’s interesting considering the light-hitting veteran catcher was signed specifically for his ability to handle a pitching staff and help young pitchers like the 24-year-old Cobb.
Also: I’m setting the hypothetical betting line at Molina -350 over Cobb.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)