Bud Selig’s statement about Yunel Escobar

Sep 18, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Thus spake Selig:

“Major League Baseball supports today’s decision by the Blue Jays to discipline Yunel Escobar and commends them for handling this situation appropriately and promptly.  It is important to note that in addition to being suspended without pay, Mr. Escobar has agreed to complete a sensitivity training program and will participate in a public outreach initiative aimed towards promoting sensitivity and tolerance.  I consistently say that Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities and that I expect those who represent Major League Baseball to act with the kind of respect and sensitivity that the game’s diverse fan base deserves.  Mr. Escobar has admitted that his actions were a mistake and I am hopeful he can use this unfortunate situation as an opportunity to educate himself and others that intolerance has no place in our game or society.”

“Also, I would like to note that, like Mr. Escobar, I too have many gay friends. Such as Sir Ian McKellen. Anderson Cooper. And, of course, Major League Baseball Hall of Famer … [Selig's voice muffled by his P.R. handlers],” Selig did not add, but would have been hilarious if he had.

1. charlutes - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Your the only good guy left Craig, tell us how to live!

• mattyflex - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Fail.

2. nelsonsaint - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

There’s a confused Bud, Billy Bean/e joke in here somewhere, but I’m too lazy to find it. I just imagine someone whispering in Bud’s ear saying “no, not that one” and Bud giving us the All-Star Game shrug again.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Escobar admitted that he did it and knew what he was doing. He has been punished and publicly humiliated. Say what you want about the nature of the punishment, but also remember the times you have said or done something stupid and were not punished.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I agree.

• cur68 - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Got me dead to rights with that one, PC. And thus we grow and we get better, with any luck.

Yunel’s just had a big, long over due lesson taught him over this. Good luck to him here on out.

• theawesomersfranchise - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“But also remember the times…”
      Hmmm number of times at work and slurred a group of people…
      Zero
      Am I special or just not stupid?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

You are obviously a candidate for sainthood.

• raysfan1 - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Best laugh I had all day, PC, thanks!

4. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I don’t know….the penalty sounds right, and some sort of penalty was in order. I just envision someone somewhere down the road doing/saying something derogatory and baseball having to explain why that player is not getting suspended.

Not saying I disagree with this, just saying that I see it coming back someday as “Well, if Escobar got suspended even though he was sorry, how come Player X is not, and he won’t even apologize???”

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The “defense” to why the player wasn’t disciplined will be because it was the Blue Jays, not MLB, who disciplined him.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I don’t think that is going to make a difference though – this statement clearly says they agree with the suspension, and that is was appropriate.

So if Player X someday says something, and his team does not suspend him, the onus will be on MLB

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It is probably directly proportional to the public outcry, which is really no way to go about such things. Beckham wrote “Getz is Gay” in the infield dirt and got nothing, while Ozzie was suspended for “I love Castro.” I feel conflicted about Luke Scott and his ‘birther’ assertions about President Obama. While not directly racist in and of themselves, similar accusations have not been levied against any white presidential candidate in recent memory.

5. pisano - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Let’s move on, this shit got old real fast.

• El Bravo - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

So Craig can’t supply the news that the Commissioner of baseball made an official statement? When is that NOT news on a baseball blog? C’mon Pisano, give everyone a break will ya? If it ain’t your favorite topic, then, well as Jay-Z put it, just go “on to the next one”.

• pisano - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Bravo…. seriously, haven’t you had enough of this. People don’t understand that different cultures deal with things a lot differently than we do in this country. He did a stupid thing, (as we in the U.S.see it) he got punished for it, so lets just move on, that’s all I’m saying. Lets not keep dragging this through the mud, it’s over.

• El Bravo - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I think it is over now is all I’m sayin’. The punishment was handed down and Selig applauded the Jays for handling it internally, which I also applaud. Should be over…if it isn’t for whatever reason, then yes, I’m with you. At least until someone else in baseball does something dumb…

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

pisano, First. Brilliant. You know you’re free to not read (and even more so comment) on the articles that don’t suit your interests. That’s what most people do, which is why there are so few Royals articles and comments.

And second, yeah….just because other cultures do things we shouldn’t be sensitive to the fact that they are wrong. Tell that to some of the girls in Africa who have under gone circumcisions.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Whoa. I think you meant mutilations.

• mrfloydpink - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

“female circumcision” and “genital mutilation” are effectively interchangeable, and both terms are correct, FC

6. pisano - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Bravo… Amen

7. stabonerichard - Sep 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Yunel Escobar hates gay people and hopefully sensitivity training will fix him. Glad this thing got sorted out.

8. randygnyc - Sep 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Yunel had been a Muslim? I suspect the response would’ve been much more muted.

• Reflex - Sep 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

On what do you base that? Also, how do we know Yunel’s religion currently?

• hammyofdoom - Sep 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

… I really dont think so at all. I couldnt name you anyone in the MLB and their religion, if you say something stupid then, at least to me, it doesnt matter your race, ethnicity, religion, anything.

9. leftywildcat - Sep 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Bud still needs a comb. Maybe a new barber also.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

A comb? You can comb a hairpiece?

10. jaybird22seven - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

This is far from over. They are looking to move him !!!!!! Later Yunel you cocky jerk !!!

11. thatyankeedude - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

My goodness this is mind blowing! How can we have two minorities and only one victim? Well I guess we now see where a majority of our minority lovers loyalties lie. And……… the gays overrule the Hispanics. Sorry guys you can play victim next time:(

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3687)