Sep 18, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
Chris Young was back in the Diamondbacks’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Padres for the first time since September 3. But the injury that put him on the shelf apparently never fully healed.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the center fielder was removed in the top of the first inning after aggravating his strained right quad while making a long running catch.
Young was able to make it off the field under his own power, but with only two weeks remaining in the regular season and the Diamondbacks struggling to finish at .500, it seems likely that we’ve seen the last of him this season.
The 29-year-old is under contract with the Snakes for $8.5 million in 2013. He entered play Tuesday batting .227/.307/.433 with 14 home runs, eight steals and 39 RBI in 94 games.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12