Sep 18, 2012, 7:58 PM EDT
Former MLB Network reporter and current CSNNE anchor Trenni Kusnierek discusses dealing with depression in a feature on MilwaukeeMag.com.
Based on her TV appearances, one would peg Kusnierek as just about the last person to deal with depression, but that’s one reason why she wanted to tell her story. She said she decided to talk about her history with the illness after Junior Seau’s suicide earlier this year.
“Just understanding a little bit of what he must have been going through, and people not understanding,” she said. “Then thinking they’ll never understand because he’s dead. If people aren’t willing to talk about it, how can we move forward?”
Kusnierek also talks about starting and stopping antidepressants. After her “amicable divorce” with MLB Network in 2010, she tried stopping them again, but said she knew within two weeks it was the wrong decision. “Maybe I’m just a person who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life,” she said.
After a couple of years back at home in Milwaukee, Kusnierek just relocated to Boston to start a job with CSNNE this month. “I feel infinitely different about this move. I’m mature enough this time to leave,” she said. “I even talked to my therapist about it. She said, ‘You had to go through all of that.’ Sometimes, you have to go through really sh**ty stuff to get to a better place.”
You can read the full piece here.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)