Sep 18, 2012, 7:58 PM EDT
Former MLB Network reporter and current CSNNE anchor Trenni Kusnierek discusses dealing with depression in a feature on MilwaukeeMag.com.
Based on her TV appearances, one would peg Kusnierek as just about the last person to deal with depression, but that’s one reason why she wanted to tell her story. She said she decided to talk about her history with the illness after Junior Seau’s suicide earlier this year.
“Just understanding a little bit of what he must have been going through, and people not understanding,” she said. “Then thinking they’ll never understand because he’s dead. If people aren’t willing to talk about it, how can we move forward?”
Kusnierek also talks about starting and stopping antidepressants. After her “amicable divorce” with MLB Network in 2010, she tried stopping them again, but said she knew within two weeks it was the wrong decision. “Maybe I’m just a person who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life,” she said.
After a couple of years back at home in Milwaukee, Kusnierek just relocated to Boston to start a job with CSNNE this month. “I feel infinitely different about this move. I’m mature enough this time to leave,” she said. “I even talked to my therapist about it. She said, ‘You had to go through all of that.’ Sometimes, you have to go through really sh**ty stuff to get to a better place.”
You can read the full piece here.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)