CSNNE’s Trenni Kusnierek opens up about her battle with depression

Sep 18, 2012, 7:58 PM EDT

Trenni Kusnierek

Former MLB Network reporter and current CSNNE anchor Trenni Kusnierek discusses dealing with depression in a feature on MilwaukeeMag.com.

Based on her TV appearances, one would peg Kusnierek as just about the last person to deal with depression, but that’s one reason why she wanted to tell her story. She said she decided to talk about her history with the illness after Junior Seau’s suicide earlier this year.

“Just understanding a little bit of what he must have been going through, and people not understanding,” she said. “Then thinking they’ll never understand because he’s dead. If people aren’t willing to talk about it, how can we move forward?”

Kusnierek also talks about starting and stopping antidepressants. After her “amicable divorce” with MLB Network in 2010, she tried stopping them again, but said she knew within two weeks it was  the wrong decision. “Maybe I’m just a person who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life,” she said.

After a couple of years back at home in Milwaukee, Kusnierek just relocated to Boston to start a job with CSNNE this month. “I feel infinitely different about this move. I’m mature enough this time to leave,” she said. “I even talked to my therapist about it. She said, ‘You had to go through all of that.’ Sometimes, you have to go through really sh**ty stuff to get to a better place.”

You can read the full piece here.

1. thebadguyswon - Sep 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Hang in there Trenni.
    Had depression since 1994 and taken meds ever since 1998….been in full remission for 5 years now. Good times are ahead!

2. dutchman45 - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Good luck. Hang in there and enjoy life.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

This is pretty surprising. When she was the Brewers sideline reporter a few seasons ago you would never be able to tell. Obviously she’s doing good so good for her.

4. Kevin Gillman - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I am glad Trenni spoke up about it too. Not only will it help other people that are going through this, but it’s also good medicine for herself to just open up about it. I have always liked her, but I respect her more now for speaking up about it.

• pepefreeus - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Again, who in the hell is voting thumbs down for ANY of the first four responses?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

You knew around here Pepe? You must be.
        Nevertheless…don’t EVER put ANY stock in the thumbs up OR thumbs down.
        The world is full of chumps. Especially, “my glass is always half-empty” chumps.

5. hojo20 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’d throw it in her.

6. muir6 - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Now I’m depressed hojo u loser

7. bla bla bla - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

hojo20 – Sep 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’d throw it in her.

—————————————————————————–

She’d just point, laugh, and throw it back.

8. stairwayto7 - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

How many basball jobs has she had in last 6 years? She was Pirates reporter years ago, Brewers, MLB….

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2870)