Sep 18, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s not outside of the realm of possibility. The Yankees have made the playoff almost every year for 18 years. The Braves did it year after year for ages. Until this season the Phillies had a nice run too.
But it just seems … wrong to say stuff like Thom Loverro of the Washington Examiner says here:
…if you’re into magic numbers, you might want to start the count for 2013, 2014 and beyond. Yes, the Nationals are annually going to be traveling down this road to playoff baseball … The Nationals are good, and they’re going to be better next year — and perhaps the year after that and beyond.
I’m not suggesting a jinx or anything. I don’t believe in those. It just seems like anyone, as a point of analysis, who starts from the proposition that a team is going to win in perpetuity, basing that assumption on the sure-fire maturation of various prospects while making no room for the possibility of injury or bad luck is going about things backwards.
The Nats are a decent bet to be good for several years. But it is a bet, and even if they have better odds than any one team in that division, I think “field” gets even better odds than the Nats.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)