Must-click link: some awesome old pics of Yankee Stadium

Sep 18, 2012, 11:00 AM EST

Old Yankee Stadium

Apologies to whoever pointed out this link on Twitter this morning, but I can’t find your tweet to give you credit (UPDATE: It was Alex Belth). The post itself is from last year, but it doesn’t matter because I’m a sucker for this stuff.

Old pics of old Yankee Stadium, many in color.  My favorite is either the last out in the last game before the 1974-75 renovation because (a) old; and (b) retro Tigers road uniforms.  My second favorite is the aerial shot in which you can see both Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds in the same shot.

Get lost in ‘em, folks.

1. natslady - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

That was great, Craig. Thanks!

2. protectthishouse54 - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Very cool photos. I always heard about the monuments being in play, but this provides some great shots that actually show it. I think it would be cool to bring back those half circle flags that hang from the upper deck…give the new stadium some old school flair.

3. Tim OShenko - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Three things I was surprised to learn:
    1) There was a friggin’ flag pole in the field of play.
    2) Datsun is “the official Yankee car.”
    3) A homer to left-center in old Yankee Stadium would have to travel about 9 times as far as a homer to right in the current stadium.

4. stackers1 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I was at the old, pre-renovated stadium as a kid – the 1976 to 2008 stadium a thousand times and now the new stadium several times. The old versions were great, and my memories will never fade if I live to be 100. But the new stadium is certainly not a “mall” as the writer described it.

I’m going to the Yankees-Blue Jays game Thursday with my brother. We park in Fort Lee & take a gypsy van over the bridge. Then the subway down to the stadium and to our $15.00 seats in the left field bleachers. Sure, I’ll pay $22.00 for a sausage sandwich & a coke, but I still get a thrill out of going to Yankee Stadium.

The thing about New York is, they never mind change. Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station – if it gets old and out dated, tear it down & build a new one.

5. thatyankeedude - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That’s awesome!

6. deafrecon - Sep 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

this song started playing in my head as i viewed those photos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rOBSeuZfzo

7. makeham98 - Sep 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

My first games were at the “old old” Yankee Stadium and the newer parks have never matched it. From the poles to the wooden seats, the roof, the massive outfield. Watching grafitti covered trains pass behind the outfield. Datsun was the official car, and before a doubleheader we enjoyed watching Joe LaHoud of the Brewers hit a ball into the bullpen, breaking the side view mirror off of the car (which they drove the relievers down to the field in before those stupid baseball cap golf carts). Hopefully they are more durable now.

8. gloccamorra - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Looking at the photos of the stadium before it opened, I had two thoughts: 1-they built it out in the sticks in 1923, and 2-they missed out big time by not buying more land and holding onto it.

I’m surprised people didn’t know the monuments were in play. I remember watching on TV in 1963, when Yogi had his last inside the park homer at Yankee Stadium, hitting a rope over the Red Sox center fielder into the monuments, with Yastrzemski finally digging it out too late to get Yogi at the plate.

9. stuffnobodycaresaboutdotcom - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Thanks Craig for featuring my web site. I hope your readers will peruse and enjoy the other baseball articles that are featured there as well. – regards, B.P.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester