Photos of the day: Great Moments in empty Wrigley Field

Sep 18, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Here’s what Wrigley Field looks like when you start a game after a three hour, forty minute rain delay.  Note: baseball games should not start after a three hour, forty minute rain delay.  There were about 750 actual fans in the seats by the time the game ended according to reporters covering the game.  Viva the second wild card, rendering this game essential.

source:

source:

source: Getty Images

source: Getty Images

1. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Come on now – those remaining fans are heroes.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I would have shown up at the game and stayed the whole time if I didn’t have work. I think I would have just walked around the stadium, enjoying the Twilight Zone feel.

2. danaking - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I understand why they wanted to get this one in (and the second wild card comment is a cheapie; there’s a game like this every year, no matter how many playoff teams there are), but after a 3:40 delay, what were the field conditions? Had to be risky for the outfielders.

3. Tim's Neighbor - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I wish I had been there. An empty stadium plus 3 hours and 40 minutes of pre-game Old Style drinking time? Just imagine the heckling.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

My recollections of Wrigley are that ten to fifteen minutes will do it.

• Alex K - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I wonder how often the pitcher can clearly hear the heckling from the bleachers.

• istillbelieveinblue - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You must have one hell of a high paying job to afford to drink Old Style at Wrigley for nearly 4 hours. :)

• Alex K - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

If only you knew how funny that is in context.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Which means what – that you get paid by the can?

• istillbelieveinblue - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

No, Gator, it means that drinking for 4 hours at about $9 a can is prohibitively expensive for us mere commoners. :P

• kevinbnyc - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Drinking in Wrigley is actually pretty reasonable compared to a lot of other stadiums (cough…Yankee Stadium…)

4. ezthinking - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Why whine about the game starting late? At least there was something on last night.

5. kiwicricket - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Curious to know if anyone was turned away after trying trade up their seats. Would be kinda harsh.

6. jkcalhoun - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Where once there were no night games, now there is all-night walk-up service. Baseball 24/7 in the old neighborhood. Must be great to be a Cubs fan.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, we don’t have any heartache at all.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

If I were a Cubs fan, I’d be numb by now as well. Ackcherley, I would’ve been numb since 2003.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You’re not too far off, Gator. Though I choose to have faith that Theo and Jed will lead this club to glory. Also, Tom Ricketts is as in love with his team as any owner I’ve ever seen. He’s always walking around at games, even in the nosebleeds, and the whole front office seems to have great passion.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Just 2003 Gator?

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Only insofar as in 2003, they were so close they could reach up and touch it. Um…well, you know what I mean….

• jkcalhoun - Sep 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Heartache, sure, but with unparalleled convenience.

7. mungman69 - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The Phillies started the second game of a doubleheader at 1:00 am. No refunds for fans here.

• deepstblu - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

…and it went extra innings and lasted till something like 4:40, when it ended on an RBI single by Mitch Williams. That was the official story, anyway. I’m not sure if anyone might have been conscious enough to verify it.

• sanzarq - Sep 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I remember that one. The games were on a Friday of July 4th weekend if I remember correctly. The game actually started @ 1:25 AM. I didn’t see it but my cousin & his son were going to drive down to Virginia after the twin-bill to meet me for a fishing trip. They pulled in about 9:45 AM on Saturday morning, after doing an all-nighter. My cousin’s son swore off baseball after that & became a computer nerd.

8. Brian Donohue - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I watched a little of it, because it brought back some really nice memories. Yankee Stadium, mid-80’s. Bad team, long rain delay, my $3.50 general admission ticket gets me a seat right behind the dugout after the 3rd inning or so. Happened a few times for me during that period. Once, the rain came during the 2nd game of a twi-night doubleheader (children, you’ll have to look it up, this is when dinosaurs roamed the diamond) — I was behind the visitor’s dugout and turned around to count what remained of the crowd and came up with an estimate around 400. It was a beautiful kind of desolation.

9. randygnyc - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Looks like the start of the Rays game.

• Old Gator - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Did you so that widely-circulated photo of the Miami Hurricanes game at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium last week? Four to five hundred, to be generous. I mean, that was execrable attendance even by Feesh standards.

10. APBA Guy - Sep 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

That picture of empty stands reminds me of a lot of games at the Mausoleum from 2007-2011.

11. mjames1229 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Last game of 1999 season, Reds at Brewers started after a six hour rain delay (start time 3:05, started a little after 9:00). Reds needed win for playoff seeding. Announced attendance over 55,000, maybe a thousand Reds fans and me were there when it ended.

I had actually left the game, went home, had dinner, tucked the kids in bed, then went back to the game when I heard it was going to start. No parking attendant to be seen, ticket taker chuckled when I even presented my ticket.

12. JB (the original) - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

So…..
    did they still serve beer til the start of the 8th inning?

13. mazblast - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

My favorite is from the mid-1980s. Mets (?) at Braves, July 4th, fireworks scheduled for after the game. Multiple rain delays. I kept dozing off and waking up two hours later, with the game and/or Andy Griffith Show on WTBS. The game ended at something like 4:45 AM, and by God, they set off the fireworks, as promised. Probably scared the sh** out of anyone driving on I-75 at that hour.

Another one was from c. 1998. Reds hosting the Phillies for a twi-nighter due to an earlier rainout. Rain delay during the first game, long delay between games. Reds CEO John Allen gets on the PA and invites the few remaining fans to come down to the blue (box seat) level for the second game. Our whole crew got smashed and spent the whole second game heckling both teams.

All the trade deadline news to know