Tim Bogar to interview for the Astros managerial job

Sep 18, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox Photo Day Getty Images

ESPN Boston.com reports that Red Sox bench coach Tim Bogar will interview with the Astros some time this week. The fact that the Astros last manager — Brad Mills — used to be a Red Sox bench coach to is a coincidence, I’d imagine.

Bogar played for the Astros from 1997-2000. He played in his only postseason series in 1999 with Houston, going 3 for 4 in two games against Atlanta.  He has managed in the minor leagues, where he was named manager of the year for three straight years — 2004, 2005 and 2006 — across three different leagues.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Could be a good choice, since he has experience managing young inexperienced players. He also has experience in the AL.

2. capeporpoise - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Does the Bogar photo strike anyone as being somewhat, um, unexpected? The play of shadow, the angle of the head – doesn’t it seem more appropriate for a publicity still for the ‘The Tim Bogar Story’

3. stex52 - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Yup, that last Red Sox experiment worked out so well. I’d go for it.

Seriously, Brad was never given a chance. If Bogar is interested, I hope he is great. But he is going to learn his craft by losing a whole lot of games.

4. willclarkgameface - Sep 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

FACT: the guy that takes this job in 2013 is going to be hung out to dry when the team is good enough to truly compete in the AL West, say, 5 years from then.

5. kelshannon19 - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Stex I’m starting to worry the Astros are losing you as a fan. Don’t need any more of those

• stex52 - Sep 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Thanks for the concern. We all need a little love :-) I like to think of myself more as a realist. I’ve been with the team since the ’60’s and this is the worst spell ever. Won’t be better until they suffer for a couple of more years. Since we’ve been going since 2007 in “rebuild” mode, I am a little tired of waiting.

• kelshannon19 - Sep 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Exactly so stick around for a few years my friend. Watching the young guys such as Springer, Singleton, Santana, Cosart, Paredes, ect is fun to watch.

• stex52 - Sep 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

My fondest hope…….. I’m not exactly young these days.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win