And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Sep 19, 2012, 6:16 AM EDT

Miguel Cabrera AP

Tigers 12, Athletics 2: Lose your starter after two innings? No problem. Because the Tigers have a Hulk. Miguel Cabrera hit two homers and drove in six, starting the A’s hella road trip off in poor fashion.

Reds 3, Cubs 1: Homer Bailey took a two-hit shutout into the eighth over what was likely some very tired Cubs. Cincy’s magic number is four.

White Sox 3, Royals 2: Five straight wins for Chicago. And a rare win against the Royals, relatively speaking. Really: the defining characteristic of the 2012 AL Central is the leaders not taking care of business against the cupcakes.

Marlins 4, Braves 3: Atlanta rallied for three in the ninth to force extras, but Jose Reyes‘ two-run single in the 10th won it. The Braves are already have a gimpy Andrelton Simmons, and now they’ve lost Paul Janish, who dislocated his shoulder in this one. PLAY CHIPPER AT SHORT, FREDI! LET HIM LEAVE THIS GAME THE SAME WAY HE CAME IN.

Cardinals 4, Astros 1:  Kyle Lohse threw seven scoreless innings. See, Philly, this is how you beat a bad, bad team that you’re supposed to beat in order to stay in the wild card race.

Brewers 6, Pirates 0: Yovani Gallardo won his eighth straight decision over the listless Pirates. Wait, that’s not right. They have list. A strong list to starboard, not unlike the Lusitania just before she went down.

Twins 6, Indians 5: The battle for fourth place has become heated! The Indians used ten pitchers, by the way. Including David Huff, who only pitched for a minute and a huff. This is just barely identifiable as real baseball at this point.

Red Sox 7, Rays 5: Looking at the schedule back in April and I bet you though this series would matter. Oh well. Fourth straight loss for the Rays and seventh of eight.

Orioles 4, Mariners 2: Let’s play two! Or at least two games worth of baseball. Eighteen innings ended, effectively anyway, with a Taylor Teagarden RBI single and yet another Orioles’ extra-inning win.  Thanks to the Yankees being off for two straight days, the O’s have moved into a virtual tie for first.

Giants 6, Rockies 3: Six and a third scoreless innings with six strikeouts for Tim Lincecum. If he’s right come playoff time, lookout National League.

Diamondbacks 3, Padres 2: After dropping six straight to the Padres at home, the Dbacks finally prevail thanks to a strong Ian Kennedy start. They lost Chris Young again, however, who aggravated his quad injury. Which stinks.

Angels 11, Rangers 3: An eight-run fourth inning helped seal a necessary win for Anaheim, who keeps pace with Baltimore, remaining three back in the wild card. They need some help, though. Jered Weaver won his 100th career game.

Phillies vs. Mets: POSTPONED: Been down to the corner, about once or twice. I don’t know but it’s been nice. I ain’t got no money, I can’t buy a damn thing that I might like. Let’s go down to the dime store on some moonless night and look at the rain.

Dodgers vs. Nationals: POSTPONED: And if you see us on the corner and we’re dancing in the rain. I join my friends there when I see them outside my window pane. Shadows in the rain, shadows in the rain.

Blue Jays vs. Yankees: POSTPONED: This one goes out to Yunel Escobar:

Humidity is rising – Barometer’s getting low
According to all sources, the street’s the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It’s gonna start raining men.

It’s Raining Men! Hallelujah! – It’s Raining Men! Amen!
I’m gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It’s Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

1. natslady - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Only the Mets! Postponed in two cities at the same time!

Since I’m sure Craig’ll fix this, the post originally read,

Phillies vs. Mets: POSTPONED: Been down to the corner, about once or twice. I don’t know but it’s been nice. I ain’t got no money, I can’t buy a damn thing that I might like. Let’s go down to the dime store on some moonless night and look at the rain.

Dodgers vs. Mets: POSTPONED: And if you see us on the corner and we’re dancing in the rain. I join my friends there when I see them outside my window pane. Shadows in the rain, shadows in the rain.

2. philliesblow - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Miggy is awesome. MVP! Si Motherf*****r!

• paperlions - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Miggy is awesome, the problem is that Trout is just as awesome at the plate, while being fantastic on the bases and in the field. Miggy pretty much sucks without the bat in his hands.

3. Innocent Bystander - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Was that the Police version or Sting solo version?

4. Old Gator - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

And the Braves’ collapse begins….

Incidentally, Craig, Reyes’ single drove in one run. The Feesh and Braves went to the bottom of the tenth tied at 3. Some day, though, I’d love to see a walk-off two run single to win a tie game in the bottom of the tenth. But we’d better get it done before instant replay expands, dontcha think?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM

This came really close considering the circumstances involved. Robin Ventura, 1999 NLCS Game 5, take it away Wikipedia:

The game was tied 2–2 going into the top of the 15th inning, until Mets pitcher Octavio Dotel gave up an RBI triple to Keith Lockhart, giving the Braves a 3–2 lead. In the bottom of the 15th inning, the Mets loaded the bases against Braves relief pitcher Kevin McGlinchy. Mets catcher Todd Pratt drew a bases loaded walk, tying the score 3–3.

The next batter was Mets third baseman Robin Ventura. Ventura crushed the 2–1 pitch over the wall in right-center for an ostensible grand slam, winning the game for the Mets and driving the Mets players and fans into a frenzied celebration. Ventura, however, never reached second base as Todd Pratt, the runner who was on first, picked up Ventura in celebration. Subsequently, Ventura was mobbed by his teammates, never finishing his trot around the bases. Because he failed to touch all four bases, the hit was officially scored a single. Roger Cedeno, the runner on third at the time, was ruled the only runner to have crossed home plate before the on-field celebration began and the Mets were awarded a 4-3 victory. Thus, Ventura was only credited with a single and one RBI.

• natstowngreg - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Dang, beat me to it.

Since I wasn’t able to use my ticket to last night’s Dodgers-Nats game, I surfed Extra Innings. Settled on the Marlins’ telecast. Some intersting stuff:

— I heard “John Buck” and “resurgent” in the same sentence, without “not” between them. This was before Buck hit the homer that gave the Fish their 3-0 lead.

— Cookie Rojas talking about Roberto Clemente. Priceless.

— Seems that the MLB Fashion Police(tm) are considering a ban on advertising, and other things not players’ names, on gloves. Supposedly, a few players (Wade LeBlanc and Drew Storen were mentioned) have their Twitter addresses sewn into their gloves. Which seems a little odd, but nothing escapes the keen eyes of the Fashion Police(tm).

In honor of the Fish restoring the Nats’ lead to 5.5 games, I shall now say something nice about the Miami-Dade County Baseball Palace of Garishness. On TV, it doesn’t look as ugly as several parks I’ve visited. The Mistake by the Lake (Cleveland Munincipal, mid-60s), The Vet (1988), Busch (1992, pre-renovation), the Astrodome (circa 1999), and RFK (2005-2007).

• stex52 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Hae some fun with it Marlins! If we can’t be good, at least we can be the cockroach in someone else’s cake batter. The spoiler role isn’t the prettiest in the world, but it keeps us also-rans interested.

A little conflict for me. St. Louis is my backup team and I want someone to root for in the playoffs. But they are going to have to continue to bring their game. I’m not going to root for Houston to roll over.

• Old Gator - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Cockaroach in the cake batter. I like that one – true Texas metaphor, right up there with “slippery as deer guts on a doorknob” or “I’m so hungry I could eat the asshole out of a skunk.”
        But this here is Macondo, podner. We’d probably think more in terms like, “If we can’t be good, at least we can be the jelly in your shoes.”

• stex52 - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Everybody already knew “burr in the saddle”. That was so ’50’s I just couldn’t use it. The other one I like is “burning down the barn to kill the rats.”

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

“See, Philly, this is how you beat a bad, bad team that you’re supposed to beat in order to stay in the wild card race.”

Truer words were never spoken…or written…or typed into a computer. Whatever the case may be, they’d be 1 game back had they taken care of business in Houston. Now they need to win out and hope for a miracle. I don’t think they catch Milwaukee even if they win out because the Brewers are smoking hot.

• Lukehart80 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

That is the first time a group of people from Milwaukee has ever been called “smoking hot.”

• ptfu - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Well, they DO have lots of beer there, and beer goggles have been behind some amazing makeovers. Hypothetically speaking, of course. Because I would definitely not ever have any experience with beer goggles. Err, never mind, move along, nothing to see here.

6. rockthered1286 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM

HERE COMES BUNDY!!!!

I give it 20 minutes before the HBT post is up.

• natstowngreg - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Actually, it was 40 minutes, but a good guess nonetheless.

7. Charles Gates - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Bundy Bundy Bundy Bundy Bundy Bundy!!!!!!,

• southpaw2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

If I weren’t at work today, I’d be jumping up and down like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.

• Old Gator - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Charles, you sound like William F. Buckley Jr.

8. Lukehart80 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Those ten Indians pitchers set a new franchise record. September baseball, ladies and gentlemen!

9. southofheaven81 - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

“It’s Raining Men” dedicated to Yunel: Perfect.

10. hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

“this is how you beat a bad, bad team that you’re supposed to beat in order to stay in the wild card race…” after losing 13 out of 18 games to allow teams to stay in the wild card race.

11. rockthered1286 - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

And the yard birds strike AGAIN!! Unremarkable hitting for the most part, but very timely (or lucky as some like to think) hitting by Flaherty, McLouth and Davis in the 9th to take this thing into extras. Again, this is where havign guys like Arrieta, Matusz and Hunter in the pen come up huge. All 3 pitched last night, all 3 have the ability to pitch 3+ innings without worry, and all fared well last night. And how bout Teagarden? 7 total hits this year, 6 for RBI’s, and 3 came in extras. Dude is pure clutch (or again, some call it lucky).

AJ after the game stayed up til 4am left coast time to do an interview with 105.7 here in Baltimore. Said the club house emotions are completely different than ever before. They’re confident. They’re having fun. They’re getting it done one game at a time. But they’re not done yet.

O’s still putting up W’s (3 in a row now) and sitting atop the AL East as the Rays freefall and the Yanks can’t gain any ground. Where are all the “they’ll collapse” and “it’s only a matter of time” naysayers now?? I’ll wait…

LEEEGGGOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Old Gator - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Yeah, and they said the same thing about Eric Clapton once. Go Yardbirds indeed. Peter Angelos was just added to the Nobel Prize short list, slightly ahead of Stephen Hawking.

• APBA Guy - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I love the “Angelos is a genius” campaign. Please start including “Angelos FOB” (Friend of Bud) to magnify the thread of commonality between Angelos and Lew Wolff (FOB), also a Genius.

• Old Gator - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Lew’s boys are so far ahead right now that it’s a given, like, oh, spooky action at a distance – which is an appropriate way to think about it from the sunrise side, you know?

• rockthered1286 - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Gator, I know your son lives in B’Lair somewhere (within range of myself), but I’m curious, has he ever mentioned to you anything about 98 rock’s morning show on the radio? Mickey Cucheilla is the main host and on opening day this year said on air “I’m not rooting for the O’s this year. I’m rooting for Angelos. I think all of his criticism has kept the curse going and he needs to be praised, and I feel this team will win for him.”

Obviously not the basis of your opinion as you live nowhere within proximity to hear that, but it speaks volumes that Angelos is starting to get support from everywhere. I’m now to the point where I think he could throw out the opening day first pitch next year and get a standing ovation from the entire Candim Yards.

I can dig it. PA had made a million poor moves and he’s now either seen the light or realized it’s time to make a change. He went all in hiring Duke was his best move in… well a really friggin long time. No disrespect to Andy McFailure who brought in key components like Hardy, Hunter, Davis, etc. but the trades and signings by Duquette… unbelievable. And it all comes back to PA taking a leap of faith to hire a guy who’s been out of baseball for quite some time. Also the hiring of Buck by PA was monumental in this teams success. Time to start giving credit where credit is due. I applaud Peter Angelos.

• lessick - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

The Orioles used 4/5 of their Opening Day starting rotation in this game. Chen started and Hunter, Arrieta and Matusz all came out of the pen. Only Hammel, who is a bit banged up, did not pitch.

12. APBA Guy - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This is how Detroit imagined it in April. This is also how I imagined it in April. A rookie pitcher, good basic stuff, with zero composure from the first pitch (what I imagined). Miggy et al crushing poorly executed mistake pitches for 9 innings, carrying his team while laughing all the way (what Detroit imagined).

Why Jesse Chavez is anywhere near the A’s roster is beyond me, and why he keeps getting into games is beyond me. His last three appearances: 2.1 innings, 7 ER, and he’s allowed several more inherited runners to score. That is not playoff caliber baseball, it’s not Rock Cats (the A’s AAA team) baseball. He needs to be DFA’d now.

Not that he cost the A’s the game. That would be mainly on Mix-A-Lot, whose devastating curve was today a floater that too often ended up, as it did for Miggy’s first blast, dead center of the plate. Having watched all of Griffin’s previous starts, he was today over-amped, which resulted in rushed deliveries and poorly executed pitches. That’s not something desirable when facing a veteran lineup of excellent professional hitters.

Since the A’s began winning around June 1 they’ve been able to bounce back from bad losses, even a small streak of losses, and reel off streaks of winning baseball. But they have to survive this Road Trip of Death. And losing yesterday, with a much depleted Scherzer exiting after only 2 innings, means extra pressure to beat Verlander today.

Leyland had no problem going to the pen early and often yesterday knowing that Verlander could likely go deep into his start today. In his last start, Melvin kept Anderson, Verlander’s opponent today, in far too long, and then followed him with Chavez, in what I considered Melvin’s poorest managing effort of the season and a bad omen going into this 10 game road trip. Another such botch-job and the A’s will find themselves on the precipice of a descent that will be quick,ugly, and decisive. Simply stated, the A’s are not so loaded with talent that they have any margin for error, least of all from their manager. They are all the things pure stat guys hate: scrappy over-achievers who have had a phenomenal run for 3.5 months, and “only” need to maintain that run for 2 more weeks to make the playoffs.

13. raysfan1 - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

…a bugle is heard playing softly and sadly in the distance for the beloved Rays…

14. mamerica1 - Sep 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Craig – as a lifelong A’s fan and resident of the Bay Area, I wanted to point out that you’re using our favorite regionalism (“hella”) wrong. In your sentence, “… the A’s hella road trip,” you seem to be implying that the A’s have a rough trip (which they do), and are using “hella” to mean “bad.”

However, “hella” actually means either “really” or “very” (as in, “Cespedes hit that pitch hella far” or “Crisp made a hella good catch”), and is used as an adverb for emphasis. So I think the word you mean is either hellish or helluva, or else you’re missing a word (“… the A’s hella tough road trip”).

• sportsdrenched - Sep 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I deal with a vendor that’s a division of Goodrich whose name is Hella. It takes all of my discipline…which isn’t much, to not start using your slang term “hella” in every sentence when they are mentioned.

15. sportsdrenched - Sep 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The only thing I have to say is, I’ve got to find time to watch more baseball. 2 innings in 5 days is not optimal.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3470)