Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton is a fantastic baseball player who overcame serious drug addiction and whose body takes a greater physical beating than most non-catchers out there both by chance and by virtue of the way he plays the game. But by all means, let’s start calling him a big sissy.
Jean Jacques Taylor of ESPN Dallas wrote a column today saying Hamilton lacks “mental toughness” because he left yesterday’s Rangers-Angels game with a sinus headache. Earlier today Jon Heyman tweeted that Hamilton won’t get MVP votes because of his headache.
Not mentioned in Taylor or Heyman’s baloney is the fact that Hamilton was suffering from vision problems as well, suggesting that this was more migraine than sinus headache.
But never mind that. Big tough baseball writers have decided that a guy who has hit home runs in postseason play despite playing with a frayed groin is some sort of sissy simply because he’d be unable to see a ball coming at him at 95 miles per hour.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 0
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)