Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton is a fantastic baseball player who overcame serious drug addiction and whose body takes a greater physical beating than most non-catchers out there both by chance and by virtue of the way he plays the game. But by all means, let’s start calling him a big sissy.
Jean Jacques Taylor of ESPN Dallas wrote a column today saying Hamilton lacks “mental toughness” because he left yesterday’s Rangers-Angels game with a sinus headache. Earlier today Jon Heyman tweeted that Hamilton won’t get MVP votes because of his headache.
Not mentioned in Taylor or Heyman’s baloney is the fact that Hamilton was suffering from vision problems as well, suggesting that this was more migraine than sinus headache.
But never mind that. Big tough baseball writers have decided that a guy who has hit home runs in postseason play despite playing with a frayed groin is some sort of sissy simply because he’d be unable to see a ball coming at him at 95 miles per hour.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17