Apparently Josh Hamilton is soft now

Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP

Josh Hamilton is a fantastic baseball player who overcame serious drug addiction and whose body takes a greater physical beating than most non-catchers out there both by chance and by virtue of the way he plays the game.  But by all means, let’s start calling him a big sissy.

Jean Jacques Taylor of ESPN Dallas wrote a column today saying Hamilton lacks “mental toughness” because he left yesterday’s Rangers-Angels game with a sinus headache.  Earlier today Jon Heyman tweeted that Hamilton won’t get MVP votes because of his headache.

Not mentioned in Taylor or Heyman’s baloney is the fact that Hamilton was suffering from vision problems as well, suggesting that this was more migraine than sinus headache.

But never mind that. Big tough baseball writers have decided that a guy who has hit home runs in postseason play despite playing with a frayed groin is some sort of sissy simply because he’d be unable to see a ball coming at him at 95 miles per hour.

Pansy.

1. psousa1 - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Try playing MLB with a migraine or blinding sinus headache. Pull someone out of the stands and they will do a better job. Heyman needs to go back to cleaning Scott Boras’ bathrooms

• horseman4c - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

obviously you have never had a migraine. By the grace of God my migraines stopped years ago, but when my kids were little I had them so bad they were disabling. I couldn’t even open my eyes in a dim lit room. I had to whisper because my own voice hurt me. I would throw up and always had to be rushed to the emergency room for a shot. You would have to be superhuman to be able to play any sport or do anything if you had a migraine. I’m not saying he had one, but I’m saying if he did there is no way he could stay in.

2. maynardstool - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Yeah it does get old seeing these “journalists” sit behind their computer screens and spout their unfounded opinion of certain players as fact. Oh wait, come to think of it I’m suprised Heyman and that tool from Dallas don’t work for HBT.

Pot…..Have you met kettle?

3. sabatimus - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Seriously, I think most “journalists” are in fact adult adolescents who say things for effect, and in order to get talked about. Part of this is money, and the other part is never growing up in the first place.

4. deiong - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM

well, you know in everyones minds these days there just as good or better then the people that do.

journalists see great things so often they become desensitized on reality, and the reality is if someone doesnt live up the impossible expectations they have on that person, then they feel the right to put there anger on that person. no matter if noone else could have done any better.

nowadays most journalists are quick to point out flows in sports atheletes. yet themselves ignore the mass amount of flows in their own writing. it’s gotten so awful that anyone can blog and those blogs are just as good.. or i mean just as bad as the junk that comes out of journalists. not all mind you. but more then not.

so in closing. shut up and take some journalism classes, and realise you couldnt even hit the ball coming at you at 10 miles an hour much less 90plus. and if you do get lucky and hit it, you probably couldnt carry that gut past the batters box.

5. maynardstool - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

WOW! That was just terrible.

6. chumthumper - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Just a couple of Max Mercy wannabes.

7. horseman4c - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I admire Josh Hamilton for overcoming a horrible addiction. My son was not so lucky, he tried and tried and failed and failed until one morning we found his lifeless body. He died in his sleep. Josh’s drug addiction and recovery is no excuse for not playing his best. But what I don’t understand is when you hit homerun after homerun and great plays in the outfield and then 4 homeruns in 1 game and his outstanding performance in the home run derby, where can you go from there. Up? No, because he started coming down, all of a sudden he was booed. It is human nature to perform at whatever you are doing when you are being cheered on and encouraged, but when you are booed by your own fans and your butt eat out by your owner for throwing the bats or whatever, whether you can control it or not, your body and mind don’t work together. I told my husband I think that he got chewed out so much for throwing so many bats and had to change something, he was never the same after that. Go back and see for yourself.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3240)