Sep 19, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
With the World Baseball Classic qualifying round coming up in less than two months American-born Reds Hall of Famer Barry Larkin has been hired to manage the Brazilian team.
Larkin was in Brazil earlier this year as part of an MLB camp for young players and according to the Associated Press his daughter “recently recorded a single in Brazil” called “Bring On The Nite” and “the song is one of the themes of the country’s top soap opera.” She performs under the name CymcoLe.
Larkin has his hands full, because Brazil doesn’t have much in the way of baseball history and is currently ranked 26th by the international baseball federation. This season Yan Gomes of the Blue Jays became the first Brazilian-born major leaguer.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17