Sep 19, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
49ers quarterback Alex Smith often wears a Giants hat to his post-game press conferences, showing support for another San Francisco team, but Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the NFL has threatened to fine him $15,000 if he keeps doing it:
The reason: A Giants cap constitutes non-sponsored gear, and players must abide by the NFL’s dress code 90 minutes before and after each game.
One proposed solution: Have the Giants fund that post-game attire for such a loyal fan.
“Yeah, can you call Larry Baer for me?” Smith asked reporters in reference to the Giants’ chief executive.
Smith is making about $9 million this season and it sounds like he’s planning to keep wearing the Giants hat even if they fine him, which would run him $210,000 for the remaining 14 games.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 25
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)