Sep 19, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
49ers quarterback Alex Smith often wears a Giants hat to his post-game press conferences, showing support for another San Francisco team, but Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the NFL has threatened to fine him $15,000 if he keeps doing it:
The reason: A Giants cap constitutes non-sponsored gear, and players must abide by the NFL’s dress code 90 minutes before and after each game.
One proposed solution: Have the Giants fund that post-game attire for such a loyal fan.
“Yeah, can you call Larry Baer for me?” Smith asked reporters in reference to the Giants’ chief executive.
Smith is making about $9 million this season and it sounds like he’s planning to keep wearing the Giants hat even if they fine him, which would run him $210,000 for the remaining 14 games.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)