Sep 19, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
49ers quarterback Alex Smith often wears a Giants hat to his post-game press conferences, showing support for another San Francisco team, but Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the NFL has threatened to fine him $15,000 if he keeps doing it:
The reason: A Giants cap constitutes non-sponsored gear, and players must abide by the NFL’s dress code 90 minutes before and after each game.
One proposed solution: Have the Giants fund that post-game attire for such a loyal fan.
“Yeah, can you call Larry Baer for me?” Smith asked reporters in reference to the Giants’ chief executive.
Smith is making about $9 million this season and it sounds like he’s planning to keep wearing the Giants hat even if they fine him, which would run him $210,000 for the remaining 14 games.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)