Sep 19, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Wow, we weren’t expecting this: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Orioles are calling up Dylan Bundy.
At the end of August the Orioles made up their minds to send Bundy to the instructional league and to not make him a part of their September callups. But when you play a ton of close games and then throw in an 18-inning affair like they played last night, the pitching gets taxed. Between a tired staff, a playoff push and a rested phenom, just sitting there and waiting to be used, it makes perfect sense that Bundy is getting the call.
Bundy played on three different levels in his first professional season. He obliterated low-A hitters, allowing only five hits and zero earned runs — I repeat, zero earned runs — in 30 innings. High-A was a bit more of a challenge, but the 19 year-old still posted a 6-3 record with a 2.84 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 54 innings. In double-A Bundy made three starts, winning two of them and allowing six earned runs in sixteen and two-thirds while striking out 13. His control was a but shaky, relatively speaking, once he started facing the older hitters.
His role with the big club: likely limited relief pitching. The O’s arms need a break. And the future of the franchise is there to give it to them.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (87)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)