Sep 19, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Wow, we weren’t expecting this: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Orioles are calling up Dylan Bundy.
At the end of August the Orioles made up their minds to send Bundy to the instructional league and to not make him a part of their September callups. But when you play a ton of close games and then throw in an 18-inning affair like they played last night, the pitching gets taxed. Between a tired staff, a playoff push and a rested phenom, just sitting there and waiting to be used, it makes perfect sense that Bundy is getting the call.
Bundy played on three different levels in his first professional season. He obliterated low-A hitters, allowing only five hits and zero earned runs — I repeat, zero earned runs — in 30 innings. High-A was a bit more of a challenge, but the 19 year-old still posted a 6-3 record with a 2.84 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 54 innings. In double-A Bundy made three starts, winning two of them and allowing six earned runs in sixteen and two-thirds while striking out 13. His control was a but shaky, relatively speaking, once he started facing the older hitters.
His role with the big club: likely limited relief pitching. The O’s arms need a break. And the future of the franchise is there to give it to them.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)