Everything you ever wanted to know about Tiger Stadium

Sep 19, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

tiger Stadium2

The Society for American Baseball Research does a lot of things, but one of the coolest things it does is to host the indispensable Baseball BioProject.  These are no small bio-blurbs. They are painstakingly researched essays on the life and playing times of the game’s most significant players and events.

And stadiums. Like the latest entry by Scott Ferkovich on Tiger Stadium, which is all kinds of fabulous. All kinds of fun nuggets, like this:

Old-time Detroit baseball fans, who fondly remember Tiger Stadium’s green wooden slat-back seats, may be surprised to learn that Navin Field’s original seats — all 23,000 of them — were painted yellow. One feature that remained constant throughout the entire 87-year history of the park was the 125-foot-high flagpole in deep center, made distinctive because it was in the field of play.

And the flagpole is still there. Or a flagpole. Not sure. Kind of cool, though.

Anyway, great reading for anyone interested in the grand old ballparks, the Tigers or baseball history in general.

1. Francisco (FC) - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ahhh, so that’s where the Astros got THAT idea…

2. Mark Armour - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Discounting Fenway (which I have visited too many times to judge fairly), this was my favorite stadium. And Scott Ferkovich is a hell of a writer.

3. natstowngreg - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

There was also a flagpole in the warning track at Forbes Field. I recall watching a Giants-Pirates game on my black-and-white TV, circa mid-60s. Bobby Bonds ran around the flagpole to catch a fly ball.

Twenty years ago, while in Pittsburgh for work reasons, I was staying at a hotel near the site, on the U. of Pittsburgh campus. I located the remnants of Forbes Field, including the LF brick wall and flagpole, and home plate. Hope they’re still there.

4. kalinedrive - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

My brother has two blue seats from Tiger Stadium.

5. philliesblow - Sep 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I like Comerica Park, but I wish they would have included an upper deck in RF with the overhang. It would have been worth a view obstructed view seats on the lower level to keep that history alive.

6. kevinbnyc - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Between this and the old Yankee Stadium story yesterday, I’m in old-stadium Heaven. Or I guess Hell since I can’t go to either. Damn my youth.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet