Sep 19, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Barry Larkin has signed on to be Brazil’s manager for the World Baseball Classic and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has news of another big name taking a WBC gig:
Eric Gagne will be France’s pitching coach (he’s a French-Canadian from Montreal).
My first reaction was to be amused, but that only lasted a few seconds before I thought, “Wow, I’m old.”
Gagne debuted in 1999, won the Cy Young award in 2003, and last pitched in 2008 for the Brewers. He’s now 37.
I’m looking forward to a whole pitching staff throwing Vulcan changeups.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)