Sep 19, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Why the stats vs. scouts thing is a dumb debate? There are some things one of ’em can do that the other can’t. Like finding a guy such as Red Sox pitcher Junichi Tazawa.
A great story today by Alex Speier over at WEEI about how the Red Sox found and scouted this guy, involving treks up mountains and a white guy scout trying to blend in at a nearly empty Japanese stadium in the middle of nowhere lest others figure out that Tazawa was being scouted.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29