Sep 19, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Why the stats vs. scouts thing is a dumb debate? There are some things one of ’em can do that the other can’t. Like finding a guy such as Red Sox pitcher Junichi Tazawa.
A great story today by Alex Speier over at WEEI about how the Red Sox found and scouted this guy, involving treks up mountains and a white guy scout trying to blend in at a nearly empty Japanese stadium in the middle of nowhere lest others figure out that Tazawa was being scouted.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)