Jim Leyland doesn’t want to talk about his contract

Sep 19, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Jim Leyland AP

There’s been some speculation that the Tigers will fire Jim Leyland if they don’t make the playoffs, and yesterday the 67-year-old manager told reporters that he hasn’t talked about his contract status with the team and doesn’t want to until the season is over:

Here’s more from Leyland, via Anthony Odoardi of MLB.com:

I don’t think about that. I think about beating Oakland. That’s not going to have any effect on me. I think about beating the Oakland Athletics tonight and get into the playoffs. That situation will take care of itself at the proper time, and now, obviously, is not the proper time.

If I had information for you, I would give it to you, but I have none. I haven’t discussed my situation with anyone nor has my situation been discussed with me. And I don’t want to discuss my situation with anyone nor do they want to discuss it with me right now. We’re trying to win a division.

Leyland’s contract status was actually a popular topic way back in spring training, when he discussed it with reporters on March 30 and then ended the media session by saying: “But that’s the end of that stuff for the whole year. I’m not talking about that.”

And that’s mostly been true. Until now, at least.

This is Leyland’s seventh season as Tigers manager and his record with Detroit is 597-523 (.533) with two playoff appearances, including an American League title in 2006. This year, however, the Tigers were picked to win the AL Central by just about everyone and instead sit 3.0 games back of the White Sox at 78-69 for the league’s seventh-best record.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Reading between the lines here, and I’ll be the first to admit that I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I think ole Jim is done in Detroit. And it will be by his own choice, not the team’s.

2. ericellers - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

If the tigers don’t resign him I wonder if the bosox may want to look into hiring him ?

3. muir6 - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Overrated

• Detroit Michael - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Maybe overrated, but at least he’s a decent manager, which can’t be said for very many of the Tiger managers between Sparky and Leyland. I’d rather have Leyland than take my chances on whoever else the Tigers might hire.

• normcash - Sep 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I agree. Leyland is an outstanding manager. He’s been betrayed this year by lousy hitting
        from the 5th though 9th hitters. Lloyd McClendon should be in trouble. Infield defense has
        been a disaster, but how can you blame the manager for that? The Tigers front office took
        a gamble that the offense would cover the defense and lost the bet. Again, not Leyland’s
        fault. I think a lot of the fans got frustrated by Leyland’s over patience with Ryan Raburn and, before him, Brandon Inge. But his loyalty to his players and willingness to allow them time to straighten themselves out is a big reason they would run through a wall for him. Have you ever read ANYTHING suggesting the players are unhappy or disgruntled? I haven’t and that’s remarkable in today’s media world.

4. APBA Guy - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

For the next two games, I hope this issue is a major distraction. Unfortunately, as professional as Leyland is, I know it won’t be.

5. 50milessouthofdetroit - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Jim Leyland has quit all three managerial jobs he has had. will it be four?

6. hgfrombc2 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Please stay 50 miles south of Detroit! If Leyland is done after this season, it’ll be at the end of his contract, so he’s not quitting anything! F’n asshat!

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS