Sep 19, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Now Vizquel has doubled, passing the Bambino.
2:30 PM: Omar Vizquel singled to right in the top of the fourth of today’s Blue Jays-Yankees game. That’s, like, 90 small steps to first for Vizquel, but one giant leap for his all-time hitting numbers: with it he tied Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list at 2,873.
Next up: Mel Ott at 2,876. Then, if he gets hot and plays a lot before the season’s over — neither of which are givens — he could get to Frankie Frisch at 2,880.
Then after that: retirement, five years of silence and then the most contentious, data-free Hall of Fame campaign since Jim Rice was inducted.
In the meantime: congratulations Omar!
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17