Sep 19, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Now Vizquel has doubled, passing the Bambino.
2:30 PM: Omar Vizquel singled to right in the top of the fourth of today’s Blue Jays-Yankees game. That’s, like, 90 small steps to first for Vizquel, but one giant leap for his all-time hitting numbers: with it he tied Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list at 2,873.
Next up: Mel Ott at 2,876. Then, if he gets hot and plays a lot before the season’s over — neither of which are givens — he could get to Frankie Frisch at 2,880.
Then after that: retirement, five years of silence and then the most contentious, data-free Hall of Fame campaign since Jim Rice was inducted.
In the meantime: congratulations Omar!
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)