Sep 19, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Now Vizquel has doubled, passing the Bambino.
2:30 PM: Omar Vizquel singled to right in the top of the fourth of today’s Blue Jays-Yankees game. That’s, like, 90 small steps to first for Vizquel, but one giant leap for his all-time hitting numbers: with it he tied Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list at 2,873.
Next up: Mel Ott at 2,876. Then, if he gets hot and plays a lot before the season’s over — neither of which are givens — he could get to Frankie Frisch at 2,880.
Then after that: retirement, five years of silence and then the most contentious, data-free Hall of Fame campaign since Jim Rice was inducted.
In the meantime: congratulations Omar!
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)