Sep 19, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Jon Weisman, whose Dodger Thoughts blog is one of the best and longest-running around, has decided to call it quits after a decade writing about his favorite team online:
To this day, I still have enough arrogance about myself to be surprised that no one has ever wanted to pay me a living wage to do this full-time. But the marketplace spoke, and unless it changes its mind someday, I don’t have the luxury of ignoring it. And I’m tired of doing mediocre work on something that meant so much to me.
Anyone reading this site knows how hard it has been for me to maintain a pretense that the site is still useful in 2012. There have been some decent moments, but mostly, it’s been painful. And it’s not getting any easier. My family and my day job demand bigger and bigger shares of my energy and my sanity. So let’s cut to the chase: I’m designating myself for assignment.
Over the years Dodger Thoughts has called a handful of places home, including the Los Angeles Times and ESPN Los Angeles, but recently Weisman went back to blogging independently and, between his family and day job as a television and movie writer for Variety, struggled to find the time.
As someone who’s been blogging about the Twins for 10 years and often wonders when enough is enough, I can definitely sympathize with Weisman and hope, more than anything else, his longtime readers let him know just how much they enjoyed his work. It was a helluva run.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)