One of the original baseball bloggers hangs up his keyboard

Sep 19, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

dodger thoughts

Jon Weisman, whose Dodger Thoughts blog is one of the best and longest-running around, has decided to call it quits after a decade writing about his favorite team online:

To this day, I still have enough arrogance about myself to be surprised that no one has ever wanted to pay me a living wage to do this full-time. But the marketplace spoke, and unless it changes its mind someday, I don’t have the luxury of ignoring it. And I’m tired of doing mediocre work on something that meant so much to me.

Anyone reading this site knows how hard it has been for me to maintain a pretense that the site is still useful in 2012. There have been some decent moments, but mostly, it’s been painful. And it’s not getting any easier. My family and my day job demand bigger and bigger shares of my energy and my sanity. So let’s cut to the chase: I’m designating myself for assignment.

Over the years Dodger Thoughts has called a handful of places home, including the Los Angeles Times and ESPN Los Angeles, but recently Weisman went back to blogging independently and, between his family and day job as a television and movie writer for Variety, struggled to find the time.

As someone who’s been blogging about the Twins for 10 years and often wonders when enough is enough, I can definitely sympathize with Weisman and hope, more than anything else, his longtime readers let him know just how much they enjoyed his work. It was a helluva run.

1. dodger88 - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Jon’s daily prose will be missed. His blog was the first that I began to follow a few years ago. Great info and style.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Jon’s rules of comments should be copied for everyone everywhere.

I will miss Dodger Thoughts, and hope that he eventually comes back stronger than ever.

• moogro - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

It is a great list, but I would add a filter so that any ALL CAPITALS submission except for a list of WAR, ERA, etc. automatically is rejected.

3. sdelmonte - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Jon’s brother is Greg Weisman, a fairly successful animation writer/producer currently working on the Young Justice cartoon (which occasionally uses both Aquaman and Batman, thus confusing Craig), and an old acquaintance of mine. Jon has worked with Greg from time to time, so I always got a kick in seeing that the Jon Weisman who wrote cartoons I liked is the same one who blogged about the sport I love.

4. theawesomersfranchise - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Meanwhile a filthy hack like Jason Whitlock has had no problem making a career out of it.

• blacksables - Sep 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Whitlock isn’t a blogger. He’s a paid columnist. You probably got confused because this is a blog and not a newspaper.

There will be no tests later on the material covered.

• skerney - Sep 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Go home.

• sportsdrenched - Sep 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

But they serve the same function. What does a columnist do that a blogger doesn’t? They both opine and comment on the world of sports. (or whatever they are covering) One gets paid to do that, the other does it because they like to. I’m all for newspapers mainaining their presence. I feel that they are an asset to the communities they serve. But I don’t see the difference between blogger and columnist and thus I wouldn’t be shocked in newspapers dropped columnists from their business model.

5. moogro - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I wish that columnists with a low enough favorability rating could have their jobs offered to bloggers with a high enough favorability rating.

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What Jon so perfectly said goes for me too. So damn hard to do the work, family, life’s blog thing… Hope you guys appreciate the efforts of the guys doing it on passion and will alone. We might not be perfect but damn we try like hell.

7. genericcommenter - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It’s not so much that there was no market for it as much as it was he apparently was unaware or unwilling to make money off it. Sell it and start a new one, if anything. I’ve done that several times, and I’ve sold several websites in the 4-5 figures without trying. I have sites that average 5-6 visitors per day that make enough to support one job. Frankly I’ve never understood the mentality of going out and starting your own thing and being the OWNER but expecting someone else to come give you a job working for yourself.

Edit/Addendum: Just read the post. It seems like the “day job” takes priority. Some people do well with day jobs, nothing wrong with that. My family takes priority- so I don’t have a day job selling my time at the expense of my enjoyment.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate