Quote of the Day: Brandon Phillips “Honestly, I’ve been too busy winning”

Sep 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Brandon Phillips, Chase Utley

Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips about the NL Gold Glove award.  Which Phillips has won for two straight seasons and for three of the past four.  Mr. Phillips, Mooney asks, what say you about Darwin Barney‘s errorless streak? Does he pose a threat to you?

“Honestly, I don’t even know,” Phillips said. “What, he has one or something? … Oh, really, that’s cool. That’s nice.Honestly, I’ve been too busy winning. You know what I’m saying? I’ve just been too busy winning. I worry about myself and I worry about this team. If they don’t play for the Reds, I don’t really worry about you, honestly, unless you’re like my homeboy or something like that.”

Which is the right attitude to have, I think. If you’re paying attention to your Gold Glove competition you’re basically Roger Dorn, right?

The more substantive stuff in the article comes when Phillips observes that he gets called for errors on balls that a lot of guys don’t get to.  Which, generically speaking, is a real thing for good fielders.  If Derek Jeter — just to use an example — doesn’t get within three feet to a ball to his left, it’s a single 100% of the time.  If a good fielder gets to the ball but has it just bounce away from him, he’s penalized by his range and is charged with an error.

1. Tom Emanski - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I had eleven guys go errorless over three seasons while I was “busy winning” back-to-back-to-back AAU National Championships.

• bsbiz - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

That is well done.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I applaud whoever put the effort into creating that WordPress account.

I imagine Major League Superstar Fred McGriff does as well.

• mattyflex - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

People are giving out thumbs down, are you kidding me? Tom Emanski is to baseball what Ron Swanson is to manliness.

2. stlouis1baseball - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

There may be two other 2nd baseman in all of baseball I would rather have play 2nd base for me.
    The dude is a serious baseball player. Plus…you can put him virtually anywhere in the order and he produces. And Craig…he/you are on point with regards to good fielders being penalized for their range. This happens to all good fielders though (more or less). It even happens to me in our Competitive Softball Tournaments/Leagues! If dude’s are used to you getting to balls most others don’t get to…you are going to be penalized for those few that you pick. It comes with the territory. I would rather have someone like #4 on my team getting pinged for an error that is really a single as opposed to not having him lace em’ up for us.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nobody has ever accused Brandon Phillips of any of that olé shit.

• bsbiz - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Hardest part is fielding the KY ball.

• mplsjoe - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Phillips has the energy to play great defense because his contact says he doesn’t have to do any unnecessary calisthenics.

4. paperlions - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

“I worry about myself and I worry about this team. If they don’t play for the Reds, I don’t really worry about you, honestly, unless you’re like my homeboy or something like that.”

It would be nice if that was consistent with his history….the last couple of years he has found plenty of time to worry about and comment about players on other teams and teams not named the Reds.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Oh I hear you Paper. Please know his continually running his trap is the first thing that came to my mind. I didn’t really want to go there again though.
      I just know the dude knows how to play the game…and play it well.

• paperlions - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I agree. Excellent player.

He’s also full of shit on this one. He talks more shit about players on other teams than anyone else in the league.

After his apparent fabrication and publication of a racist comment by an opponent, he gets no more slack from me.

• skids003 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Yeah, it’s funny how that just all of a sudden went away, which tells me that there was nothing to it. If it was true, Craig and the media would still be all over it. ESPN never even wrote anything about it.

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Indeed paper, inflammatory remarks about 1 team that basically incited a riot and public accusations of an alleged/unproven/since denied racial slur by a player on a different team.

Not exactly consistent whatsoever.

It’s too bad really, sometimes less is indeed more.

• bengalsucker - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Truth hurts huh Paper? He was right about the Cardinals (and the fans for that matter since you all seem to still have your panties in a wad about it) and I can’t say he was wrong about the racial slur. If he takes being called “boy” a racial slur (let’s look up the history and origination of calling someone “boy” and where it started..if slave drivers called their slaves “boy” then it could easily be taken as a racial slur) then we can’t tell him he’s wrong. I say he “was” right about the Cardinals because we haven’t had to deal with whiney a$$ Carpenter all year (thank god) and LaRussa is gone (finally) so 90% of the whining left with those two jackasses. Now we just have to deal with Molina and his family of hot heads starting $hit in the league. Once they’re all gone the MLB will be a better place. Then he can put more focus on his family in the Latin Kings since he seems to look and act like all of those idiots with his jailhouse tattoos all up to his neck.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

BS: You guys are playing very well. You did a remarkable job while Joey was out. Not only do you hold the fort…but you actually manage to extend the lead. And your pitching? Lights out. ALL YEAR. Hell…for the first time all year…just a few weeks ago you used a pitcher that wasn’t in your original starting five that started the season. Not sure how long it’s been since a team has done that. My guess…the early 1900′s. Possibly the days of the Gas House Gang. Amazing really. It’s looks like this is gonna’ be your guys’ year. Good Luck the rest of the way.
        Do me a favor though (if you would be so kind)…
        Knock that chip off your shoulder…lose the inferiority complex…and if you guys win it all…
        do it with a little class. In a nutshell…turn that frown upside down my friend and enjoy the run.
        “BS.” Hahaha! Fitting Initials.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Words that sound dirty but aren’t: penalized

• paperlions - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

analyzed (when taking notes during meetings, never abbreviate as “anal”)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

“…reproductions may not be disseminated…” eww

6. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

7. Ben Cerow - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

That being said… Darwin Barney is clearly the gold glove winner at second base this season. Not even close.

• chuckleberry1974 - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

And it’s not simply Barney’s lack of errors. Dude makes a lot of plays that other guys don’t make, too.

8. alexo0 - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Phillips seems as defensive off the field as he does on it. He continued to accuse Hughes of racism even after the issue was dealt with, and now comes off as indignant at the mere mention of an opposing player. I’m sure Barney is now determined to become Phillips’ homeboy.

9. mazblast - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

BP is a great player. He also registers 11 on the BS meter every time he talks. I’m still waiting for him to come up with the name of the player who directed “racist” remarks at him and what exactly was said.

You should see the look he directs at the press box every time he’s charged with an error, too. Classic “Don’t you know who I AM?”

10. csndrew - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I hope he was intentionally quoting Shooter McGavin.

11. shanabartels - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I don’t want to nitpick, but Derek Jeter really isn’t a bad shortstop. Is he the greatest defensive master of all time? No. But — and I realize this isn’t the greatest measure of effectiveness, but it’s worth noting anyway — I’ll take Jeter over Eduardo Nunez in the field any day of the week. The latter is far more of a liability.

I’m not going to get irrational or anything defending Jeter here. I just think he’s kind of an easy target. There must be some other old guy you can pick on.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

His range seems limited, but that is really the only bad part of his fielding. His hands are pretty soft, he releases the ball quickly, makes generally accurate throws, turns a DP pretty well. Like Michael Kay said when Nunez was filling in last year “The thing about Derek is that if you hit it anywhere near him, he’ll turn it into an out. That is not nothing.”

12. dutchman45 - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Brandon is the best fielding second baseman I have seen in my 51 years or so of watching baseball.

• djpostl - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You need to watch more clips of Alomar then…

• amunoz78 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Actually many, including the scouts for the Blue Jays at the time, thought that Alomar’s reputation as a fielder was much greater than his ability.

13. djpostl - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Yeah, gotta call BS on this one. Nobody in the league spends more time yammerin’ about other guys & other teams.

On merits alone though, Barney should win the GG.

He too covers a ton of range and take your pick in the defensive metrics, he tops Philips.

14. jashton11 - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

“If you’re paying attention to your Gold Glove competition you’re basically Roger Dorn, right?”

Based on his play at 3B in the fine baseball documentary “Major League,” I think Dorn’s Gold Glove competition was light years ahead of him.

15. johnnyb1976 - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Barney can win the GG, I’ll be too busy watching BP holding that world championship trophy.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4963)