Sep 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips about the NL Gold Glove award. Which Phillips has won for two straight seasons and for three of the past four. Mr. Phillips, Mooney asks, what say you about Darwin Barney‘s errorless streak? Does he pose a threat to you?
“Honestly, I don’t even know,” Phillips said. “What, he has one or something? … Oh, really, that’s cool. That’s nice.Honestly, I’ve been too busy winning. You know what I’m saying? I’ve just been too busy winning. I worry about myself and I worry about this team. If they don’t play for the Reds, I don’t really worry about you, honestly, unless you’re like my homeboy or something like that.”
Which is the right attitude to have, I think. If you’re paying attention to your Gold Glove competition you’re basically Roger Dorn, right?
The more substantive stuff in the article comes when Phillips observes that he gets called for errors on balls that a lot of guys don’t get to. Which, generically speaking, is a real thing for good fielders. If Derek Jeter — just to use an example — doesn’t get within three feet to a ball to his left, it’s a single 100% of the time. If a good fielder gets to the ball but has it just bounce away from him, he’s penalized by his range and is charged with an error.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)