Sep 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips about the NL Gold Glove award. Which Phillips has won for two straight seasons and for three of the past four. Mr. Phillips, Mooney asks, what say you about Darwin Barney‘s errorless streak? Does he pose a threat to you?
“Honestly, I don’t even know,” Phillips said. “What, he has one or something? … Oh, really, that’s cool. That’s nice.Honestly, I’ve been too busy winning. You know what I’m saying? I’ve just been too busy winning. I worry about myself and I worry about this team. If they don’t play for the Reds, I don’t really worry about you, honestly, unless you’re like my homeboy or something like that.”
Which is the right attitude to have, I think. If you’re paying attention to your Gold Glove competition you’re basically Roger Dorn, right?
The more substantive stuff in the article comes when Phillips observes that he gets called for errors on balls that a lot of guys don’t get to. Which, generically speaking, is a real thing for good fielders. If Derek Jeter — just to use an example — doesn’t get within three feet to a ball to his left, it’s a single 100% of the time. If a good fielder gets to the ball but has it just bounce away from him, he’s penalized by his range and is charged with an error.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 14
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 4
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)