Sep 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips about the NL Gold Glove award. Which Phillips has won for two straight seasons and for three of the past four. Mr. Phillips, Mooney asks, what say you about Darwin Barney‘s errorless streak? Does he pose a threat to you?
“Honestly, I don’t even know,” Phillips said. “What, he has one or something? … Oh, really, that’s cool. That’s nice.Honestly, I’ve been too busy winning. You know what I’m saying? I’ve just been too busy winning. I worry about myself and I worry about this team. If they don’t play for the Reds, I don’t really worry about you, honestly, unless you’re like my homeboy or something like that.”
Which is the right attitude to have, I think. If you’re paying attention to your Gold Glove competition you’re basically Roger Dorn, right?
The more substantive stuff in the article comes when Phillips observes that he gets called for errors on balls that a lot of guys don’t get to. Which, generically speaking, is a real thing for good fielders. If Derek Jeter — just to use an example — doesn’t get within three feet to a ball to his left, it’s a single 100% of the time. If a good fielder gets to the ball but has it just bounce away from him, he’s penalized by his range and is charged with an error.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)