Sep 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman went from having a miserable season to being one of the best hitters in baseball after getting a cortisone injection in his injured right shoulder on June 24, but with the effects starting to wear off the Nationals third baseman got another shot today.
Prior to the injection Zimmerman hit just .218 with three homers and a .590 OPS in 55 games. Since the injection he’s hit .332 with 19 homers and a .994 OPS in 75 games. No wonder he’s going back for seconds.
Also of note is that manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Zimmerman will likely need offseason surgery on his shoulder, which has been an issue all year. It’s expected to be arthroscopic surgery, so it shouldn’t impact Zimmerman’s readiness for next season.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 53
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)