Sep 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman went from having a miserable season to being one of the best hitters in baseball after getting a cortisone injection in his injured right shoulder on June 24, but with the effects starting to wear off the Nationals third baseman got another shot today.
Prior to the injection Zimmerman hit just .218 with three homers and a .590 OPS in 55 games. Since the injection he’s hit .332 with 19 homers and a .994 OPS in 75 games. No wonder he’s going back for seconds.
Also of note is that manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Zimmerman will likely need offseason surgery on his shoulder, which has been an issue all year. It’s expected to be arthroscopic surgery, so it shouldn’t impact Zimmerman’s readiness for next season.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)