Sep 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman went from having a miserable season to being one of the best hitters in baseball after getting a cortisone injection in his injured right shoulder on June 24, but with the effects starting to wear off the Nationals third baseman got another shot today.
Prior to the injection Zimmerman hit just .218 with three homers and a .590 OPS in 55 games. Since the injection he’s hit .332 with 19 homers and a .994 OPS in 75 games. No wonder he’s going back for seconds.
Also of note is that manager Davey Johnson told reporters that Zimmerman will likely need offseason surgery on his shoulder, which has been an issue all year. It’s expected to be arthroscopic surgery, so it shouldn’t impact Zimmerman’s readiness for next season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)