Sep 19, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Chip Buck writes for the Red Sox blog Fire Brand of the American League. He’s also gay, and this morning he has a lengthy contemplation about the Yunel Escobar business.
While Chip notes that Escobar is perfectly within his rights to believe what he wants to believe, he also notes that Escobar’s actions are not harmless:
In making his remark, which is translated as “You’re a faggot,” he is making a prejudicial judgment on my life. He is denigrating the life I’ve created; criticizing me for the man I am; claiming homosexuality makes one weak or less than a man; and belittling my (and every other gay man and woman’s) struggles with coming to term with their sexuality and finding a place within society … It’s bad enough having my personal liberties and rights being debated daily by Presidential, Congressional, state, and local politicians over my right to marry, adopt, or receive equal employment protections under the law. The last place I would hope or want to see this is on the baseball field, a place I go to escape reality.
I’m sure there are gay Blue Jays fans, maybe even some who were fans of Yunel Escobar specifically, who feel the same way.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)