Back where we started: The Pirates are, once again, below .500

Sep 20, 2012, 9:26 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

The Pirates were below .500 on May 29th. Then they figured out their offense, rode A.J. Burnett and some other unexpectedly good arms for a while and put a run on that had everyone in Pittsburgh thinking not only a winning season, but a playoff season. Indeed, they were 16 games over .500 at one point.

And then they stopped winning.  They lost to the Brewers today 9-7 and now stand at 74-75.

They had a chance in this one. They were up 7-4 heading into the eighth when Rickie Weeks hit a tying two-run triple and scored the go-ahead run on Aramis Ramirez‘s single in the eighth inning. Credit Chad Qualls and Chris Resop with the meltdown.

Pittsburgh has lost 11 of 13. They’re staring their 20th straight year of losing records in the face.

1. annaalamode - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This is the opposite of every sports movie ever.

• Lukehart80 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Either that or they’re about to start a 13-game winning streak on their way to beating Clu Haywood and the New York Yankees in the World Series.

2. redguy12588 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It will NEVER be the Pirates time. I have 19, going on 20 years of evidence to support this.

• johnnyb1976 - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I told you that a couple months ago and you refused to see what I seen and you wouldnt shut up about how its not over. Well guess what it was over, Cutch is a great player and was putting that team on his back and couldnt play that way for the rest of the season. Pitching isnt quite ready and still a lot of holes to fill in the field. This team isnt that far away from being a 162 game contender, Marte looks like he can help, Alverez needs to hit against the other NL teams like he does the Cards, a couple of moves at SS and RF (keep Jones at 1B) this team could be lethal in 2013 or 14

3. tfbuckfutter - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I want to root for the Pirates and their fans each year because it is so sad….

But then I remember they are mostly all Steeler fans too and then it me happy.

• 5toolgeezy - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I’m a Pittsburg Prates fan AND a Cleveland Browns fan. It gets no worse, seriously it doesn’t. Try to imagine a worse combo. FML

• Jeremy T - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You know, as far as a lack of success, you might be the “winner”

On the other hand, I think I may have managed to nail “most hated fanbases” with Yankees and Jets. Not that it’s not deserved, I just have a lot of douchebaggery to overcome in order to be seen as a rational human person.

Wait, did I just take a conversation about the Pirates and make it about the Yankees? Crap, I am one of them… =O

4. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Ahh… Chad Qualls… you see there’s the problem right there. Ask any Phillies fans how many games over .500 the Phillies would be had it not been for Chad Qualls…

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

While I exaggerate, it’s not THAT much of an exaggeration.

• bleedgreen - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Chad Qualls lost 6 games by himself for the Phillies this year. Him and Bastardo combined for 10 losses and/or blown saves. Thats 10 games the Phillies were winning in the 7/8/9th inning that these 2 guys lost. If you’d say they’d maintain 60%, that puts them 3 games up in the WC.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Chad Qualls has been on 3 teams this year, bold is the record with Qualls, other is without Qualls:

Phillies 35-45, 41-29
      Yankees 48-30,
      12-13, 23-20
      Pirates 70-61,
      4-14

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Phillies 35-45, 41-29
      Yankees 48-30,
      12-13, 23-20
      Pirates 59-44,
      15-31

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hmmmmm, screwed the format, 1st on phillies is Qualls, 2nd on Yankees, and last on Pirates.

He is 62-89, his teams are all winners without him

5. johnnyb1976 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Now that the pirates are under .500 again hell will not freeze over and the world won’t end Dec 21. Thanks for saving the world Buccos.

6. randygnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM

There’s no turning back now. Even though I have a soft spot in my heart (I was there when Sid Bream scored) for the Pirates, I’m afraid this will be another losing season. This is enough to cripple the mindset of an organization. We’ll have to see how this young team bounces back next year.

7. steelerfan9598 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

As a Pirate fan, I must say a heartbreaking full on choke job like this is much more painful than your team just simply sucking.

8. norcaldeportes - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

tfbuckfutter brings up a good point. And to think I almost starting feeling sorry for them.

9. ufullpj - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

As a Brewers fan, I’m of course glad the Crew pulled it out. As a pure baseball fan, I want to see the Pirates successful. It’s one of the best ballparks (if not the best), they’ve got great fans, and a great baseball history. When it looked like the Brewers were toast after trading Grienke, I was hoping that we’d see a Pittsburgh – Baltimore WS. Great fans in Pittsburgh – they deserve better.

10. hushbrother - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Back in July, I would have bet my house that the Bucs’ streak would end this year. Now, I would bet my house it continues. The hot bats of June and July have gone ice cold, every single one of them, and the stability and overall effectiveness of the starting rotation (Hurdle’s most impressive a accomplishment in the first half) has completely disintegrated. Huntington, given the opportunity to make deals at the trade deadline for the first time, completely whiffed. Wandy Rodriguez has been ok, but Snider has been dreadful (I haven’t seen him take a single good swing at a ball – why hasn’t Hurdle, the former hitting coach, done something about that?) Sanchez hasn’t done anything, nor should any baseball talent evaluator have expected him to. Chad Qualls hasn’t been an impact reliever since about 2005. The team needed an on-base guy and some real bullpen help, and it got neither. Their idea of upgrading the on-base black hole in the leadoff spot and outfield was to call up Marte, who is only the most on-base challenged of them all.

Ownership really needs to consider giving Hurdle and Huntington the axe.

Funny thing – I’m not even a Pirates fan, I’m a Red Sox fan. I’ve watched a ton of Pirates games this year because I really like Andrew McCutchen, and I wanted to see them break their streak. This team was very enjoyable to watch for much of the year. But I can’t help but feel disgusted by the turn of events the last two months. I think it absolutely stinks that a fan base has had to endure this much lousy baseball for so long, and that they’re going to have to wait at least another year to see an actual good team on the field.

11. iclight79 - Sep 21, 2012 at 5:04 AM

We have some pitching help coming, hopefully, over the next few seasons, and while Marte does struggle to get on base at the moment, it’s hard not to like his potential. I just hope his swing at everything mentality, if it sticks, turns out to make him something like Vlad. Cutch is going to continue being an All-Star, Walker is a solid second baseman and Josh Bell – if his rehab went well – should be along in the next few years and could give us the best outfield in baseball with him, Cutch and Marte. Can’t stand Pedro, and I have no idea why people stick up for the guy still. Sure he can hit it out of the park, but his K/BB ratio is so awful that it makes his absurdly bad fielding only his second worst attribute. Never, ever a productive out for that guy at the plate.

One sobering fact that many of my fellow Buccos fans either forget or don’t realize is, we are currently 11-3 against the Astros heading into this last set with them. And after this season, we won’t get to beat up on poor Houston anymore.

12. willclarkgameface - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Damn you, Pirates.

I don’t even know what to say about this team at this point. You’re cheap with purchases, greedy with income.

Pathetic.

13. dexterismyhero - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Wasn’t it talk like a Pirate fan day earlier this week?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr we going to get over .500!!!!!!

14. 12strikes - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This information is all fine and dandy…. but I really need to know the important stuff…Like did the Pirates send you an email about playoff credentials or anything about how to purchase season tickets.

• 12strikes - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Season tickets s/b playoff tickets
      (EDIT FEATURE)

15. steelerfanforlife - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

It just plain makes me sad. I had so much fun as a baseball fan this season(I’m 34 and I’ve been a Pirates fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was) and to watch this 60 car pileup of a finish is so disheartening. I would rather them hang around .500 all year then to play out of their minds for half the season and get my hopes up….ugh!!!’

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2982)