Sep 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
Yesterday there was a story about how the NFL has threatened to fine 49ers quarterback Alex Smith $15,000 for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during his postgame press conferences because it didn’t meet the league’s approved wardrobe rules.
So today Giants manager Bruce Bochy showed his support for Smith by wearing a 49ers hat during his pregame meeting with reporters.
And because Bochy is known for having the biggest head in baseball, this is my favorite part of the story from Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News:
The Giants have hundreds of their own hats lying around the clubhouse, but finding a Niners hat that would fit Bochy wasn’t that easy. The manager normally wears a size 8 1/8, but the biggest size the Giants could find was a 7 3/4. Equipment manager Mike Murphy was tasked with making the math work.
“He’s got a hat-stretcher,” Bochy said. “He took care of it.”
And as you can see by the above photo courtesy of Pavlovic, Bochy isn’t so much wearing the 49ers hat as letting it sit on his head.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)