Sep 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
Yesterday there was a story about how the NFL has threatened to fine 49ers quarterback Alex Smith $15,000 for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during his postgame press conferences because it didn’t meet the league’s approved wardrobe rules.
So today Giants manager Bruce Bochy showed his support for Smith by wearing a 49ers hat during his pregame meeting with reporters.
And because Bochy is known for having the biggest head in baseball, this is my favorite part of the story from Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News:
The Giants have hundreds of their own hats lying around the clubhouse, but finding a Niners hat that would fit Bochy wasn’t that easy. The manager normally wears a size 8 1/8, but the biggest size the Giants could find was a 7 3/4. Equipment manager Mike Murphy was tasked with making the math work.
“He’s got a hat-stretcher,” Bochy said. “He took care of it.”
And as you can see by the above photo courtesy of Pavlovic, Bochy isn’t so much wearing the 49ers hat as letting it sit on his head.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)