Sep 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
Yesterday there was a story about how the NFL has threatened to fine 49ers quarterback Alex Smith $15,000 for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during his postgame press conferences because it didn’t meet the league’s approved wardrobe rules.
So today Giants manager Bruce Bochy showed his support for Smith by wearing a 49ers hat during his pregame meeting with reporters.
And because Bochy is known for having the biggest head in baseball, this is my favorite part of the story from Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News:
The Giants have hundreds of their own hats lying around the clubhouse, but finding a Niners hat that would fit Bochy wasn’t that easy. The manager normally wears a size 8 1/8, but the biggest size the Giants could find was a 7 3/4. Equipment manager Mike Murphy was tasked with making the math work.
“He’s got a hat-stretcher,” Bochy said. “He took care of it.”
And as you can see by the above photo courtesy of Pavlovic, Bochy isn’t so much wearing the 49ers hat as letting it sit on his head.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 129
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39