Bruce Bochy wears 49ers hat to support Alex Smith, has a huge head

Sep 20, 2012, 5:10 PM EST

bruce bochy 49ers hat

Yesterday there was a story about how the NFL has threatened to fine 49ers quarterback Alex Smith $15,000 for wearing a San Francisco Giants hat during his postgame press conferences because it didn’t meet the league’s approved wardrobe rules.

So today Giants manager Bruce Bochy showed his support for Smith by wearing a 49ers hat during his pregame meeting with reporters.

And because Bochy is known for having the biggest head in baseball, this is my favorite part of the story from Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News:

The Giants have hundreds of their own hats lying around the clubhouse, but finding a Niners hat that would fit Bochy wasn’t that easy. The manager normally wears a size 8 1/8, but the biggest size the Giants could find was a 7 3/4. Equipment manager Mike Murphy was tasked with making the math work.

“He’s got a hat-stretcher,” Bochy said. “He took care of it.”

And as you can see by the above photo courtesy of Pavlovic, Bochy isn’t so much wearing the 49ers hat as letting it sit on his head.

1. dondada10 - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

“He’s got a hat-stretcher,” Bochy said. “He took care of it.”

Evidently, this didn’t occur until after that photo was taken.

• dan1111 - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Actually,that is the stretched version. Before they did that it looked like a Mr. Potatohead hat on him.

• Glenn - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sounds like Bochy IS a hat stretcher.

2. thebadguyswon - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

My brother wears an 8. Years ago at Shea, we were in line to buy caps. We got to the front and I ordered my size and told the woman we needed an 8 for him. She said she thought the only 8 they had available was in the display case, if they even carried one. Sure enough the display hat was an 8 and the mannequin had to get another lid. 8 and 1/8 is incredible.

3. natstowngreg - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

My official Nats home cap is size 8. It was the largest available at the team store. It’s stretched a little since I bought it 5+ years ago, but is still a bit tight.

Where does one get one of those hat stretcher contraptions?

• Bryz - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Your arms are each equipped with one of them.

• natstowngreg - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Indeed, and they have been used for that purpose. But they’re not all that useful. I was hoping for something more efficient.

4. beefytrout - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Suddenly I feel less conscious about my 7 5/8 head size.

• thebadguyswon - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Me too.

5. aiede - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I refuse to be surprised that a team that employed Barry Bonds owns a hat stretcher.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Is Barry Bonds the hat stretcher?

6. personalspaceinvader - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

7 1/4 here. Do I have a small noggin?

• nolanwiffle - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Pinhead!

7. raysfan1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

That hat stretcher…left over from Barry Bonds’ playing days?

8. rap49er - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Magical time to be an SF fan. Could it be two World Championships this year??

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I predict your chickens will lay their eggs.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM

When you get a football team that chokes like your baseball team, check back in.

9. stlouis1baseball - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I always had the largest Helmet/Hat on the team.
    I am talking…large…lid.
    Massive Melon….Colossal Cranium…Gargantuan Gord.
    I am a 7 7/8. But I got NOTHING on Bruce Bochy. 8 1/8. Wow.
    That folks…is a LARGE lid.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester