Sep 20, 2012, 4:34 PM EST
The Angels lease in Anaheim is up in 2016. Today this from the Los Angeles Daily News:
Angels officials have had preliminary talks about moving the Major League Baseball franchise from Anaheim to Industry, according to a source with close ties to Industry City Hall … Angels owner Arte Moreno has said in the past that he would need to know this year or next whether he should stay in Anaheim or move the team.
This is not the first rumbling we’ve heard of the Angels moving. Back in April there was chatter about Moreno meeting with AEG, who has long been linked to a potential downtown football stadium and already developed the Staples Center and other downtown delights.
As we mentioned then, there were all kinds of problems with the Angels and AEG hooking up for a downtown ballpark, and I suspected at the time that part of what was going on there was Moreno trying to make it look like he has other options, thereby enhancing his negotiating position with Anaheim for a new lease in the old park.
As Rob Neyer noted today, there are also problems with moving the Angels to Industry, and he suspects just like we did back in April, that this is another instance of Moreno trying to create leverage. Or for a third party to try to create leverage regarding a possible NFL site. Because, on the merits, it makes little sense for the Angels to move anyplace.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 0
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 41
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 95
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)