Sep 20, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
The Angels lease in Anaheim is up in 2016. Today this from the Los Angeles Daily News:
Angels officials have had preliminary talks about moving the Major League Baseball franchise from Anaheim to Industry, according to a source with close ties to Industry City Hall … Angels owner Arte Moreno has said in the past that he would need to know this year or next whether he should stay in Anaheim or move the team.
This is not the first rumbling we’ve heard of the Angels moving. Back in April there was chatter about Moreno meeting with AEG, who has long been linked to a potential downtown football stadium and already developed the Staples Center and other downtown delights.
As we mentioned then, there were all kinds of problems with the Angels and AEG hooking up for a downtown ballpark, and I suspected at the time that part of what was going on there was Moreno trying to make it look like he has other options, thereby enhancing his negotiating position with Anaheim for a new lease in the old park.
As Rob Neyer noted today, there are also problems with moving the Angels to Industry, and he suspects just like we did back in April, that this is another instance of Moreno trying to create leverage. Or for a third party to try to create leverage regarding a possible NFL site. Because, on the merits, it makes little sense for the Angels to move anyplace.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 16
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 57
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)