Sep 20, 2012, 4:34 PM EST
The Angels lease in Anaheim is up in 2016. Today this from the Los Angeles Daily News:
Angels officials have had preliminary talks about moving the Major League Baseball franchise from Anaheim to Industry, according to a source with close ties to Industry City Hall … Angels owner Arte Moreno has said in the past that he would need to know this year or next whether he should stay in Anaheim or move the team.
This is not the first rumbling we’ve heard of the Angels moving. Back in April there was chatter about Moreno meeting with AEG, who has long been linked to a potential downtown football stadium and already developed the Staples Center and other downtown delights.
As we mentioned then, there were all kinds of problems with the Angels and AEG hooking up for a downtown ballpark, and I suspected at the time that part of what was going on there was Moreno trying to make it look like he has other options, thereby enhancing his negotiating position with Anaheim for a new lease in the old park.
As Rob Neyer noted today, there are also problems with moving the Angels to Industry, and he suspects just like we did back in April, that this is another instance of Moreno trying to create leverage. Or for a third party to try to create leverage regarding a possible NFL site. Because, on the merits, it makes little sense for the Angels to move anyplace.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 69
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)