Sep 20, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Trevor Bauer struggled to throw strikes in his four-start debut with the Diamondbacks earlier this season before heading back to Triple-A and any plans to potentially recall him from the minors have been canceled.
There was some talk last month that Bauer could rejoin the Diamondbacks for a late-season start or two once the Triple-A playoffs were over, but instead they’ll avoid adding to his current workload of 163 innings.
Bauer walked seven batters in his final Triple-A start and struggled in the Triple-A playoffs overall, but manager Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that wasn’t a factor.
Piecoro has a lot of interesting quotes from Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers regarding Bauer’s future in Arizona, which will almost surely involve the 21-year-old former No. 3 overall pick competing for a full-time rotation spot next spring.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)