Dusty Baker hospitalized with an irregular heartbeat

Sep 20, 2012, 8:53 AM EST

Dusty Baker Reuters

Dusty Baker went to the hospital before yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game, thinking he may have had pneumonia or something. Turned out to be something else: an irregular heartbeat.  Baker was hospitalized overnight and will have precautionary tests.

After the game Brandon Phillips had this to say about Baker’s absence:

“I had to worry about my daddy,” Phillips said. “I can’t have daddy pass out on us. We can’t let that happen. I am glad he is all right. He is going to be in my prayers when I get back to the hotel. Before I go to sleep make sure I say some prayers for him and family also. Hopefully I miss him because I miss him, I miss him and the toothpicks and the wristbands, I miss it all.”

It sounds like he’s OK. Though it’s not clear if he’ll rejoin the team today or not.

1. redguy12588 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Best of luck to Dusty, hope he’s okay.

2. stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Get well Dusty.

3. alexo0 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Phillips says “I” ten times in that quote alone. Who was he asked about again?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yep…while being interviewed his two favorite words are “I” and ”Man.”
      Pay attention the next time and try to count them.
      I challenge you to keep up and give an accurate answer.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Drinking game?

4. stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM

“Drinking game?”
    Absolutely Kevin. We used to play that game to the old ACDC song “Have a drink on me.”
    I seem to remember he sings the words like 30+ times.
    I believe today “Thunderstruck” is the song most commonly played to.
    What is it about ACDC’s music that makes one what to play a drinking game to their songs?
    Back to Brandon Phillips…
    My guess he uses the words “I’ and “Man” more times in any interview then Brian Johnson ever sang the words “have a drink on me.”

5. willclarkgameface - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Dusty gets criticized by many. I’ve always liked him and his work ethic and I get the sense that his teams generally like him as well. He’s managed many teams to great success. No, not the World Series championship, but he also can’t play the games for them in the playoffs, which he has been to quite a bit as a manager.

Get well Dusty.

6. docktorellis - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Too much of a workload in 2003.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester