Sep 20, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Dusty Baker went to the hospital before yesterday’s Cubs-Reds game, thinking he may have had pneumonia or something. Turned out to be something else: an irregular heartbeat. Baker was hospitalized overnight and will have precautionary tests.
After the game Brandon Phillips had this to say about Baker’s absence:
“I had to worry about my daddy,” Phillips said. “I can’t have daddy pass out on us. We can’t let that happen. I am glad he is all right. He is going to be in my prayers when I get back to the hotel. Before I go to sleep make sure I say some prayers for him and family also. Hopefully I miss him because I miss him, I miss him and the toothpicks and the wristbands, I miss it all.”
It sounds like he’s OK. Though it’s not clear if he’ll rejoin the team today or not.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 34
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 47
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105