Elliot Johnson played catch with fans in the parking lot

Sep 20, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

Yankees Rays Baseball

Just got an email from reader Chris Bell, relating a cool story about Rays infielder Elliot Johnson, bro:

Prior to the Rays game last night, I was with a few buddies tailgating in the parking lot.  Out of the blue I posted a tweet to Elliot Johnson that I was in the lot, and to come out and play catch.  He comes out into the lot, in full game gear minus the jersey (with a glove and a ball) and plays catch with us … after the game we were behind the dugout, Elliot spots us and tosses us a few game balls.  What a great experience, Elliot couldn’t have been a nicer guy.

The video can be seen here.  Very, very cool on the part of Johnson.

1. indaburg - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Cool story. E.J. is one of my favorite Rays. Every week, he has a twitter contest for fans. He’s a smart guy too, with a good sense of humor. His walk up song is “Foxy Lady” due to his resemblance to Garth in Wayne’s World.

• hittfamily - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Hey Burg. I was actually there…kind of. I was in line with my dad to get in the game (we bought tix when Sox:Rays with 12 games to go was going to be a great game). . The bag check all the way to the left is usually empty so we were in line there. Dad went in ahead of me cause I wanted to finish my drink. I was chatting with the bag check lady, when Elliot comes walking out through the bagcheck I was standing at. She says jokingly said “did you forget something” and he replied “I told someone I’d play catch with them”. He just walked by like anyone else. People turned and looked, but no one ran up to him for pics or autographs. It was pretty cool. I could tell immediately it was Elliot Johnson, but the baseball pants, glove and balls kind of gave it away too. He walked all the way to the back of the lot, to the point I couldn’t see him anymore.

If I’d have known how long he was going to be gone, I’d have waited for him to come back and done a lilttle fun heckling : “Hey, back of the line buddy” — “Wheres your ticket” etc.

I told dad, and he didn’t believe me at first. He thought it was an impersonator having a joke. I just showed this to him, so thanks for the write up Craig. We are going to the game tonight too. Price Vs Lester with 2 weeks left. Damn this was supposed to be a great game.

Last year dad caught a foul ball. This year EJ is chillin in the lot with the fans. I love the Rays!

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:39 AM

That’s so cool! Who knew all you had to do was ask, and EJ would come play catch.

What a game last night! Did you stay until the end?

2. baseballisboring - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I always enjoy stories like these.

3. stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I am now a big Elliot Johnson fan. Well done.

4. chill1184 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Stories like this are always cool

5. dan46778 - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

That cool, only in a small market teams

6. baseballisboring - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

A little off topic, but at a Fisher Cats game earlier this year, I saw Delvin Guerra (one of the guys the Twins got for Johan) playing catch with a young kid, standing near the foul line and throwing the ball into the stands. Just playing catch for like 10 minutes before the game started. I remember being impressed by it…kids really remember that kind of stuff. I think if I were a professional baseball player or any kind of celebrity, I would probably be a grumpy bastard and disappoint all my fans. I enjoy seeing/hearing about people doing good things that they don’t have to do, even if it’s something small like a game of catch.

7. kevinbnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Maybe the promise of a game of catch with a Rays player will draw more people to their games.

Wait…probably not.

8. pinstripecameraman - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I think you mean Deolis Guerra not Delvin Guerra.

9. raysfan1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Most excellent!

10. JB (the original) - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM

He must have gone to the Lew Ford School of Fan Interaction.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester