Great moments in media relations: Phillies edition

Sep 20, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT

Phillies Logo

Being totally honest here: the Phillies media relations people are pretty awesome.  I’ve not dealt with them too much, but when I was in Clearwater for spring training a couple years ago they were easily the coolest operation in the Grapefruit League (the Dbacks folks in the Cactus League are incredibly nice and accommodating too; it’s a close race).  Pleasant, nice. Willing to do anything for you, even if you’re a total idiot noob like I was back in 2010 when I was stumbling around their joint.

Part of being nice, however, is being optimistic. And sometimes being optimistic can lead to being overly optimistic. Take this email I got from the Phillies today:

Dear Craig Calcaterra,

The Phillies Division Series credential application will be available beginning on Thursday, September 20, 2012 … PLEASE NOTE: Credential requests for the League Championship Series and World Series are handled through Major League Baseball.

Isn’t that the most adorable thing you’ve ever seen?  I almost want to hug them that’s so cute. Next thing you know they’ll be selling playoff tickets.  Oh, wait, they are. C’mere you guys [hugggs]

Of course, if they could play the Mets every night for the rest of the season maybe they’d have a chance.

1. randygnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Burn!!!

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

You have to have a dream. If you never have a dream, how are you going to have a dream come true.

3. elpendejo59 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

*slow clap* That was grade A trolling, Mr. Calcaterra.

4. thebadguyswon - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Let’s see how funny you are when the Cards bounce you in the wild card game.

• paperlions - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Writers are always funnier when their team loses….there is nothing funny about smug writing.

5. thebadguyswon - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I know this, I wouldn’t to play the Cards in a one game playoff. Talk about dangerous.

6. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Hey! Optimism is part of the Phillies’ makeup, it ain’t over till the last out. Just ask Ryan Howard about last night’s game (even though it was against a total noob and not the Mets’ regular closer).

Great trolling good sir!

7. Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Damn you Calcaterra! Damn you! Look, it’s possible for them to go undefeated for the remainder of the season and sneak in last minute, right? Hello guys,,, right? Sure it is. Yeah that’s the ticket.

• paperlions - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Why not? That’s essentially what the Cardinals did last year, they had a bigger deficit last year….of course, they were only trying to catch one team….still….it ain’t over.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I don’t think they can pull it off with this team and this bullpen. Nope, the Cards had a very solid bullpen and the Phillies bullpen is horrible. Unless they go to a 4 man rotation and try to go 7-8 innings per game with the starters they couldn’t pull it off imo without intervention by the baseball gods anyway. Hey, I’m still cheering though, and hoping. And praying to the baseball gods. Don’t you mock me man!

• paperlions - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Well, this year’s Cardinal bull pen is made up of essentially the same guys….and much of the year, those same guys haven’t been able to get people out (or just not walk guys)….anyone capable of playing in MLB can get hot for a month.

8. thefacts121 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Craig, since fans want to see playoff games in most cities, those teams need to sell assigned seats to the games in advance rather than just hoping a few thousand people show up on game day. As a Braves fan I can understand your unfamiliarity with the topic.

But then again, if the Braves would have passed on selling playoff tickets in advance last year, then they could have avoided disappointing the dozens who purchased them.

9. merritgdog - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Phillies media is the best out there! NOWHERE will you see that kind of passion from phily media or it’s fanbase.

10. merritgdog - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Houston ended our season a week ago. Still, the phillies fought hard and showed a lot of heart!

11. jucam1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hey Calcarreta, instead of doing your “cute” comments on a team that has shown character over the last 3 months, why don’t you focus on being close to a legitimate sports columnist.? Nobody thinks your Phil’s hatred is “cute” and you just come off as the massive tool bag you are. So, when you learn how to play as good as the Phils are playing or when you learn how to write like a good journalist, then you can talk smack…. Until then, how about you write about this team’s valiant effort in coming back this season with all the massive injuries they’ve had? Or their potential to own this division again next year?…. Or you can continue to think you are “cute” and be a tool bag in trashing a team that has more talent in their bat boy than you do in your weak writing……

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Aww, did some mean old man hurteded your feelings? It’s OK, bunky. The bad man will go away soon and everything will be happy again. Now how about a cookie?

• maltarz - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If there’s one thing that makes a good journalist, its being a complete douchebag to your readers.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I think my readers have been around long enough to know whether I say such things in malice or not. And my Phillies fans readers — the good ones anyway — have a way thicker skin than this.

• maltarz - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Most journalists – the good ones anyway – show a degree of professionalism greater than making sarcastic remarks at their detractors.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM

You must be new here. Because I’ve been writing like this for close to six years.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:10 AM

As a matter of fact, Craig is one of the better ones. He doesn’t just put something out there and leave it. He will reply to idiotic comments like the one above, as well as your personal attack there.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Hook. Line. Sinker.

12. jucam1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ha,…. Way to show yourself for the hack you are and thanks for proving us right… Hey, I think the local penny saver has an opening for a useless sports writer, I am sure you are free. I used to look to you for intellegent and interestingn baseball coverage, but you’ve obviously outed yourself to be a petty, little time, wannabe… Either way, the Phils and I will be doing great and watching as you continue to make a joke of yourself…. Thanks for proving me and everyone else wrong about your journalistic abilities you clown!

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Gosh, you’ve really made me stop to take stock and think about what I’m doing here. Man … there has to be a better way. What have I been thinking? I think I should …

…ah, wait. Nope. That was just gas. It’s all good.

• Jeremy T - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Do you often confuse Philly-fan-induced introspection with flatulence?

13. schmedley69 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM

It’s almost as cute as the Braves selling playoff tickets. Yeah, they’re pretty much a shoe-in for the playoffs, but get real, no one in Atlanta is going to buy playoff tickets.

• schmedley69 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Ooops, sorry. I forgot that I wasn’t supposed to do any attendance shaming on here.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I bet more playoff tickets are sold in Atlanta this year than in Philly. :-)

• schmedley69 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Probably true, but the Phillies will probably still out-sell the Nats.

• dannythebisforbeast - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Your right but I bet its close!

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Yeah, Craig, but how many will be for the Braves?

• lowellrikert - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I bet Braves end up selling as many tickets to game 2 of the playoffs as the Phillies do.

• greymares - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I hope so nobody attends during the regular season. i watch a lot of games and Atlanta is ALWAYS 1/2 empty.

14. jucam1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You know what Craig, I’m gonna take a step back and ignore your pettiness. I’m sure I’m just one little reader and I don’t count. I thought my Phillies defense was justified but obviously you and your “proffesionalism” (that I clearly don’t have) disagree… So I wish you well, I like most of your readers don’t matter to you and you obviously don’t care what we think, so take care champ, I sincerely wish you well. I now know what type of site this is” and best of luck with your “cute” comments

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Dude, lighten up. If you could stick a piece of coal up your a$$ by the time the playoffs start you’d have a Diamond.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:12 AM

When Cameron was in Egypt land…

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:14 AM

If it doesn’t matter what his readers think, then why would he respond? Where else do you find that?

15. xmatt0926x - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I don’t think Craig meant to be as offensive as a couple people are making it out to be. It’s all good fun most of the time. If I was Craig though, I’d be concerned as to whether or not Freddy Gonzalez has the stones to start Medlin in the 1 game wildcard as opposed to showing “loyalty” to a beatable Tim Hudson.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I have total faith in Freddi screwing it up.

16. phillyphannn83 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I tell you what Craig, you better hope your bravos don’t have to play us in that play in game. That’ll be some major crow you’ll be eating if we win. You should never count your chickens before they hatch. Don’t forget, your team is guaranteed not to have a guaranteed playoff spot too. A one game play in does not qualify as making the playoffs. You gotta win it first. Humility can be a b¡tch. On another note, you better hope the Phil’s media folks have thick skins too, otherwise someone might decide this is the last time you receive those gracious emails.

And those Phil’s fans claiming were gonna own the division next year…stop it. Nothing is certain, the Nats are for real. I think the Braves are having a fluke year but I could easily be wrong. Either way, we own NOTHING but the ’08 World Series and could quite possibly be on a downward swing. I’m not so convinced this is a fluke year for us.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM

First of all, Craig doesn’t eat crow—he eats his hat. Second, what’s with the double cliche to start off? Third, his is team guaranteed not to have a guaranteed spot? Huh?

I’m a Phightins Phan. I have been for longer than I care to admit—what with that being some indicator of my age. Hubris is part of the Phanbase’s makeup. We can use all the bravado we want to cover up the disappointment that has been this season, whether or not the Phils make the play-in game. We can also crow about the chances next year, when presumably, Mr. Lucky will be back to 100%, NinJr. hopefully does something positive in the offseason (resign Juan Pierre, please!!!!), Papelbon gets more save and less nonsave opportunities and/or prolonged down time, Utley presumably is healthy and Vanimal makes it back. Bring it on.

17. Gonzo - Sep 21, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Butthurt Phillies fans? Is this opposite day?

18. 12strikes - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Craig… You really should see someone about your hatred of all things Philles. 7 words in your ATH (for Thurs) posting, but a full post about playoff tickets and credentials. What you seem to forget is that over the last few years there has been a trend with teams coming back from big deficits to make the playoffs. So for the Phillies to prepare for this is really not that bad of an idea. Why post a “slap in your face” story? How about a post about how the Phillies came back to get in a position to sell playoff tickets and hand out credentials?

In your ATH, even if you want to say that Hefner was bad and that is why the Phillies scored so much, how about a paragraph about how Tyler Cloyd, a rookie, was able to shut the Mets down and keep them down with a big led.

You (and a lot of readers) give Phillies fans a lot of crap, but when you show bias against the Phillies what do you expect?

19. nolanwiffle - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM

A certain segment of the Philly fanbase never fails to disappoint. Great stuff!

• kcq101 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Kudos and ‘big ups’ to you for qualifying your comment with “A certain segment of..” It’s refreshing to the remaining segment(s) of the Phanbase.

With that being said….Craig, you better pray to the god of skinny bald-blogger-punks that this wind doesn’t pick up, ’cause I’ll come over there, and jam an oar up your ass.

20. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Sorry Phillies brethren – Criag is never wrong on these things. Hence the 2010 Giants missing the playoffs, and Cliff Lee signing with the Rangers or Yankees.

And besides Craig, why write about this? I heard a fan was rude to a player last night. Think of the children!!!!!

21. hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

At least they’re not setting up a parade route.

22. thesportsguru7 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Rule # 1 of being a good journalist – Subjectivity.

May want to go back and hit some books Craig, looks like your journalism is being affected by your failure to differentiate between subjective and objective.

• thesportsguru7 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

/sarcasm

23. phillyphannn83 - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We don’t need to play the Mets all year when YOUR Bravos’ pitcher walks our pitcher on 4 straight balls with no one on base.

Utleys Hair – what I said means they’re not catching the Nats, which also means they have to play the wildcard play-in game, which is NOT a guaranteed playoff spot. Didn’t think that was THAT hard to figure out.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Read it again. It didn’t make any sense. I thought it was an unintentional transposing of words and failure to delete, but I guess not.

24. phillyphannn83 - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM

12-3 in our last 15 Craigy. All I can say is I’m completely shocked/disappointed/perplexed those 3 losses came against Houston.

25. phillyphannn83 - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM

omg I can’t believe I ACTUALLY have to explain this to you. Its no wonder Craig loves to troll us.

It so simple, the ONLY guaranteed playoff spots are division winners, and since ATL is not winning the division, they don’t have a guaranteed playoff spot. Get it? Was that too hard to follow? I can try to finger paint it for you if its still not sinking in. I feel dumber now just for having to explain that to you.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Dude…I have been around here way more than you. I know how Craig trolls Phightins Phans. He does it all the time.

The way you constructed the statement was so discombobulated that it MADE NO SENSE. Got it? And next time, try replying to comments using the reply button. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt there, but I guess I was wrong to do so.

Seriously. Read it again. Damn…

• Utley's Hair - Sep 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

EDIT FUNCTION, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I meant I’ve been around here way longer than you.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:26 AM

There is no reply button when using the NBC sports talk App, genius. See what happens when you make assumptions?!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Yeah, I do. It makes an a$$ out of you and…no, that doesn’t work…I guess you’re just an a$$.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM

You wrote: “…your team is guaranteed not to have a guaranteed playoff spot too…”

Try this instead: “…your team is NOT guaranteed to have a playoff spot EITHER…” See?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

And nice snappy comeback. It took only, what…three weeks? Bravo.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Once again, I USE THE APP!! It doesnt tell you when someone replied to one of your comments. The only way to see that is when you load it up on a browser.

Ive read a bunch of your comments. When responding to Craig’s post, you tend to write sensical stuff, but when responding to other commenters, you sound like the nerdy suck-up teachers pet. Get off his jock already, youve got some brown stuff on your nose.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3405)