Jeff Kent plays through pain on “Survivor” season premiere

Sep 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Survivor Smacked Me In The Chops

OK, so I watched former MVP and longtime MLB second baseman Jeff Kent on the season premiere of “Survivor” last night and now I’m going to share a few details with you so I don’t feel completely silly about those 90 minutes of my life.

• Kent injured his knee before the first commercial break, losing his balance jumping from a boat to a raft. Once he got onto the actual island he played it off as no big deal so everyone else wouldn’t think he was at less than full strength, but Kent later guessed that he had a torn MCL.

• While limping around he wasted no time trying to build alliances and started scheming to get another player voted off the island. He also talked about what a big fan of “Survivor” he is and how that motivated him to sign up.

• Kent is attempting to keep his identity a secret and as far as I could tell only one of the other contestants recognized Kent as a former baseball player. And the woman who did recognize him didn’t tell anyone, so his secret is safe for now. However, she did wonder out-loud to the cameras whether “someone with $30 million” deserves to win the $1 million prize, so that figures to be an issue. And it wasn’t even an accurate number: Kent earned more than $85 million during 17 seasons in the majors.

• Despite the knee injury Kent quickly emerged as a leader, doing most of the heavy lifting in building his tribe some shelter. He told everyone about his farm in Texas and bonded with several people who view him as a fellow Southerner. Kent does have a farm in Texas, but he was born and raised in California.

• He played a big role in the immunity challenge, doing a good job paddling a boat to allow his teammates more time to solve a puzzle that ultimately won the challenge. That means he’s safe for at least one more week and, I guess, means I’m committed to watching this show for at least one more episode.

1. El Bravo - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Damn Gleezy, the things you’ll put yourself through for some baseball news….

• crispybasil - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

“Gleezy” – Iol’d

2. kirkmack - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Aaron Gleeman : “I watch crappy TV so you don’t have to.”

• gammagammahey - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Bring back the Baseball Wives recaps!

• purnellmeagrejr - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I consider it a Christian Bale like commitment to his role.

3. pauleee - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I flipped to it as the alternate channel to the remnants of the Angels’ season. I had heard he was on it. Didn’t see him, but perhaps there’s another reason to tune in. Recognized her immediately. Lisa Welchel. (FTW)

• contraryguy - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Blair from Facts of Life… yes, please. And people are watching ‘Mr. Congeniality’ Jeff Kent instead? LOL

4. kevinleaptrot - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

His pain or the viewers’?

5. kiwicricket - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I read all that nonsense and you don’t even link any Boobz or anything? Dam it, Gleeman!

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

He did. He just got the gender wrong. Add disturbing to trivial.

6. baseballisboring - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

He’s gonna get voted off. No way they don’t all team up to vote off the millionaire baseball player, everyone will find out eventually. Not that I care, don’t plan on watching…

7. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Maybe he’s spent $55 million plus so far?

8. pinkfloydprism - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Did they have a motorcycle on the set? Or was he washing his truck?

9. ptfu - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM

He always did want to hit cleanup and bring everybody (a) home.

10. gmsalpha - Sep 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The only way he has a chance is if his real first name is Clark.

11. contrarianjon - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Strange……that’s all I have to say about that

12. stex52 - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:25 AM

The only way I would ever watch the show is if Jeffy doesn’t survive. And I mean really “doesn’t survive.”

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto