Sep 20, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
The Mets’ Jeremy Hefner was pulled from his start Thursday against the Phillies after failing to retire any of the seven batters he faced.
Since all three inherited runners came around to score of McHugh, Hefner was charged with seven earned runs.
Hefner is the fifth starter this year to leave without retiring a batter, but the first to do so due to ineffectiveness. Jered Weaver, P.J. Walters and Brandon Morrow were injured in their starts, and Zack Greinke was ejected from his.
The last starter to depart under circumstances similar to Hefner’s was the Cubs’ Randy Wells on May 28, 2010. He gave up hits to all six batters he faced before being removed from an outing against the Cardinals.
Hefner became the eighth starter since 2000 to give up seven runs without recording an out:
Armando Reynoso (Ari): Apr. 23, 2000 vs. SF
Dennis Tankersley (SD): Apr. 9, 2003 vs. SF
Paul Wilson (Cin): July 10, 2003 vs. Hou (8 R, 7 ER)
Ryan Vogelsong (Pit): Sept. 24, 2004 vs. Cin
Paul Wilson (Cin): May 6, 2005 vs. LAD (8 ER)
J.D. Durbin (Phi): Sept. 1, 2007 vs. Fla
Jason Marquis (Was): Apr. 18, 2010 vs. Mil
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 18
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 37
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 39
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)