Sep 20, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
The Mets’ Jeremy Hefner was pulled from his start Thursday against the Phillies after failing to retire any of the seven batters he faced.
Since all three inherited runners came around to score of McHugh, Hefner was charged with seven earned runs.
Hefner is the fifth starter this year to leave without retiring a batter, but the first to do so due to ineffectiveness. Jered Weaver, P.J. Walters and Brandon Morrow were injured in their starts, and Zack Greinke was ejected from his.
The last starter to depart under circumstances similar to Hefner’s was the Cubs’ Randy Wells on May 28, 2010. He gave up hits to all six batters he faced before being removed from an outing against the Cardinals.
Hefner became the eighth starter since 2000 to give up seven runs without recording an out:
Armando Reynoso (Ari): Apr. 23, 2000 vs. SF
Dennis Tankersley (SD): Apr. 9, 2003 vs. SF
Paul Wilson (Cin): July 10, 2003 vs. Hou (8 R, 7 ER)
Ryan Vogelsong (Pit): Sept. 24, 2004 vs. Cin
Paul Wilson (Cin): May 6, 2005 vs. LAD (8 ER)
J.D. Durbin (Phi): Sept. 1, 2007 vs. Fla
Jason Marquis (Was): Apr. 18, 2010 vs. Mil
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 44
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 57
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)