Marlins plan to fire longtime GM/president Larry Beinfest

Sep 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Jose Reyes Heath Bell

Larry Beinfest was hired as the Marlins’ general manager when Jeffrey Loria took over as owner in 2002 and was later promoted to president of baseball operations, but after an offseason spending spree followed by a disappointing season he’s reportedly on the way out.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke to “two high-ranking executives” who say the Marlins “are planning to fire Beinfest … perhaps as early as next week.”

According to Nightengale the Marlins will promote assistant general Dan Jennings to replace him. Meanwhile, he writes that manager Ozzie Guillen is expected to keep his job with three years remaining on a $10 million contract.

Under Beinfest the Marlins won the World Series in 2003 and, despite frequently having one of the league’s lowest payrolls until now, have had winning seasons in five of his 11 years. However, the team’s last winning season came in 2009 and it’s no surprise that someone is taking the fall for the free-spending offseason likely leading to 90-plus losses moving into the new ballpark.

1. snoop97dawg - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM

it is about time!! he should have been fired a long time ago.

• Old Gator - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Look at what he had to work with, and then look at who he had to work for. Let’s look at it this way: how many indie directors have burst upon the Sundance scene with brilliant films made on a shoestring, and then fallen on their faces the minute someone handed them a big fat budget (think The Hudsucker Proxy and Fay Grim). Beinfest just didn’t know what to do with it all. We all should have such problems.

• Reflex - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

First off, The Hudsucker Proxy is one of my all time faves. Secondly, I’m pretty certain the Coen brothers have done pretty well since.

• Old Gator - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Hudsucker was a mess, substituting big star names, lame slapstick, expensive visuals and forced humor for their normally surgical and tightly scripted satire. Of course when you put Jennifer jason Leigh in any film, you’re cruising for a fall. Even they have admitted it was one of their misfires – as were their other two big budget flops, Intolerable Cruelty and the inexplicably awful Ladykillers, with is bevy of dumb fart jokes. They’ve done well mainly by reverting to the strengths that made them great in the first place. Even their cranky British editor, Roderick Jaynes, who savaged their earlier efforts, was happy when they gave up their lush pretenses (giggle).

• Reflex - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM

To each their own I guess, but I happen to love that movie. And almost anything else they’ve done. That said, those two you just mentioned are two I didn’t bother with based on reviews. I’m not one who blindly goes to a movie without reading some reviews from reviewers I trust first, regardless of who’s in it, directing or writing it.

• tashkalucy - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Christ OG,

You just know everything about everything.

You ever go to work or run a business or anything?

You sound like a guy that’s spent his whole life sitting in front of screens and monitors passing judgement on people that you don’t know, and talking about decisions they made when you have no idea what the options were.

OG – you ARE America!

• Old Gator - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Wel-l-l, let’s see now – I taught film studies at the university level for sixteen years. Co-edited a book of essays on the Coen Brothers and wrote the introductory article for it. Little stuff like that. You may not think of that as work, but then I guess you’ve done it long enough to know how easy it is, right? And yep, I spent plenty of years in the private sector working in aviation, risk assessment and insurance before I got tired of the constant globetrotting, went back into academia so I could watch my kids grow up and ultimately enjoy my grandchildren. That plus if you’ll notice that in my first post on this thread, I caution holding off on passing judgment on Larry Beinfest.

But I won’t cut you the same slack. You’re an uncomprehending moron.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Old Gator: The Most Interesting Man in the World. He doesn’t always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers something weird for Belgium that I’ve never heard of (I bet). Actually…I bet he’s a German beer guy. Whole Reinheitsgebot thing.

• Old Gator - Sep 22, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Ackcherley, I rarely drink alcohol of any kind anymore, not that I ever drank much of it anyway. Beer people have gotten almost as obnoxious as wine people over the past decade. I’m going to enjoy things like iced pomegranate green tea until the tea people catch up with the beer and wine people. And tonight, I might watch Sideways again, just to remind myself of how silly the whole subject is.

Tonight, though, I had an ice cold IC Light with mango essence, which is really good for washing down lobster ravioli and a cranberry walnut arugula salad with goat cheese and raspberry vinagrette dressing. Salad people, of course, are the most unbearable of all.

2. manute - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Um, Michael Hill is the Marlins GM, not Beinfest.

So are they firing Beinfest, the Prez, and elevating an Asst GM to take over as Hill’s boss? I think Nightengale is missing something, probably that Hill will be getting the boot too.

3. drewsylvania - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

So they moved Beinfest to president as his reward for bringing up top talent year after year. It’s not his fault Loria is the biggest nickel-and-dime thief in MLB. Beinfest will probably laugh while collecting a paycheck from his old employer while being aggressively courted by half the league.

And they’re keeping Guillen. One of the worst orgs around.

• Old Gator - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

What is “org” short for? One possibility makes no sense at all. The other makes less sense than that.

• natstowngreg - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Organization, as in ownership and front office.

• Old Gator - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, that was one of the possibilities that didn’t make much sense – at least, not in the context of the Feesh.

4. mazblast - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Next Loria should fire Samson (won’t happen). After that, he should fire himself.

• Old Gator - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The Chihuahua is his stepson and Scrooge is making a fortune on this team. No one should hold their breath for either suggestion.

5. randygnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Samson is his son in law, not his stepson. I met him (David) a few times while he screwed me over in a real estate deal in NYC some 10+ years ago. Super nice guy, till he f@cked me.

• Old Gator - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM

David Samson is the son of Allen and Sivia Samson. When they divorced, Scrooge McLoria married his mother. She divorced Loria a few years ago, so I guess you’d have to say that technically, the Chihuahua is Scrooge McLoria’s ex-stepson. Sorry to hear, but not surprised, that he screwed you in a real estate deal. You should see what he did to us.

6. jimmymarlinsfan - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

About time. Loria is absolutely right to do this. Beinfest used to bring in a ton of talent and then we started getting killed with awful personnel move after another.

The team needs to refocus its scouting to not only cover Latin America but own it like the Canes owned south Florida recruiting for 25 years. And for the love of all that is holy please find a catcher better than John Buck. We may even have one in Brantley but seriously, no more Buck!

• Old Gator - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Brantley looks like a keeper, doesn’t he? Batting .338 right now, getting on base a lot but so far conforming nicely to the proud Feesh tradition of not driving in many runners. He looks like he will outgrow that, though – he started off slow but has been coming on gangbusters since about his fifth or sixth starting game.

Given the kinds of budget restrictions Scrooge and the Chihuahua put on the team between 2005 and last year, I’m hesitant to rake Beinfest over the coals for what happened this season. It may well just be a case of having to make due with what he was allowed to spend, which wasn’t much. Suddenly confronted with a pot of gold, I could see how it would look easy to splurge without giving his selections enough thought. On the other hand, he brought in winning teams in something like six out of eleven years with abyssally underfunded teams. Not a bad track record. If the Feesh bounce him, he’ll have another job within a month.

Three legends off to Cooperstown