Sep 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Larry Beinfest was hired as the Marlins’ general manager when Jeffrey Loria took over as owner in 2002 and was later promoted to president of baseball operations, but after an offseason spending spree followed by a disappointing season he’s reportedly on the way out.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke to “two high-ranking executives” who say the Marlins “are planning to fire Beinfest … perhaps as early as next week.”
According to Nightengale the Marlins will promote assistant general Dan Jennings to replace him. Meanwhile, he writes that manager Ozzie Guillen is expected to keep his job with three years remaining on a $10 million contract.
Under Beinfest the Marlins won the World Series in 2003 and, despite frequently having one of the league’s lowest payrolls until now, have had winning seasons in five of his 11 years. However, the team’s last winning season came in 2009 and it’s no surprise that someone is taking the fall for the free-spending offseason likely leading to 90-plus losses moving into the new ballpark.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Dan Haren sounds pretty set on retiring after the season, but left open the possibility he’d pitch beyond 2015.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett is prepared to pitch through an elbow injury if necessary.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
The Blue Jays and Royals weren’t very friendly to each other on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Cincinnati hosted one of two benches-clearing incidents in baseball on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Injured Phillies second baseman Chase Utley is a potential August acquisition consideration for the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Brad Ausmus has a candidate to handle save situations following the Joakim Soria trade.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton might not return in mid-August as originally anticipated.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Rick Porcello heads to the disabled list with a triceps injury.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Here comes the Boom?
Aug 2, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
I think it may be!
Aug 2, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Great moments in macho baseball culture
Aug 2, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Let’s talk about waivers.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Note: that is not his hand or glove.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Cole Hamels’ Texas debut didn’t go too well.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)