Sep 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Matt Harvey‘s final start of the season was delayed one day by a rain and the Mets rookie tossed seven innings of one-run, one-hit ball against the Phillies last night before being shut down to limit his workload.
Harvey finishes with a 2.73 ERA, .200 opponents’ batting average, and 70/26 K/BB ratio in 59 innings, which along with his at times overpowering raw stuff has to have Mets fans awfully excited.
He also joins some pretty elite company by making double-digit starts and striking out double-digit batters per nine innings as a 23-year-old, which had previously been accomplished by just seven other pitchers in baseball history:
YEAR SO/9 MATT HARVEY 2012 10.6 Stephen Strasburg 2012 11.1 Scott Kazmir 2007 10.4 Mark Prior 2004 10.5 Johan Santana 2002 11.4 Bobby Witt 1987 10.1 Sam McDowell 1966 10.4 Sandy Koufax 1959 10.2
That’s a pretty interesting mix of pitching phenoms.
Counting his work in the minors Harvey threw a total of 169.1 innings this season with 182 strikeouts versus 139 hits allowed. His control still needs plenty of work, but Harvey sure looks like he has ace potential.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 39
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)