MLB nearing a deal to extend TV deals with Fox, TBS through 2021

Sep 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

old TV

ESPN has already singed an extension on its TV deal and now Fox and TBS are lining up to do the same:

Under the deals, which are likely to be announced before the postseason, Fox will retain rights to the World Series and to a league championship series every year, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement has been made. The amount baseball receives from the two networks is likely to double to an average of about $800 million annually.

Back of the envelope math has that putting another $13-14 million per year in each team’s bank account over and above what they’re getting now. Add that to the ESPN deal which we talked about a few weeks ago, and that’s about $26-27 million more for each team every year by virtue of the new national TV deals. That’s big money for doing absolutely nothing.

1. Tapps - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Baseball is dead

• cur68 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Hey, pronounce ME dead with $800 million annually, please.

• Marty - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Recognition of sarcasm is dead

2. redguy12588 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I was going to write this on the ATH story, but since we’ve all moved to here, I’m gonna say this:

As a 24 year old Pirates fan who never got to enjoy a winning season (consciously), The MLB needs to take over the Pirates and force a sale to another owner if the Pirates finish under .500 this season.

I say this because it’s the only way I see a culture change in the franchise, two back to back collapses preceded by 18 years of terrible baseball. The fans can’t be expected to put up with this, why should they and I continue to follow this team, it’s depressing and we never get to enjoy ANYTHING.

• chill1184 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The fact that the Pirates and Mets ownership is still the same despite their deliberate damage to both clubs is pathetic. Pirates ownership openly admitting that they repeatedly covered up mistakes and benefited from losing and Mets ownership using team finances to funnel one of the biggest financial frauds in US history. Of course this all is on the shoulders of hypocritical douchebag Bud Selig, he talks about integrity of the game on one side of his mouth and plays games on the other side. I’m convinced that if Selig wasn’t commissioner the following wouldn’t have happened;

1. 94 strike
      2. Expos relocation
      3. Jeff Loria owning a team after destroying the Expos

FYI I’m sure like me you’re a Steelers fans so we have that going for us

• sportsdrenched - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Hey! Talk like a Pirate (fan) was yesterday!

Good news is, you can share your pain on “Talk Like a Royal (fan) Day”

• willclarkgameface - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Bud Selig is an idiot and has done nothing positive except line his and the other owners pockets, which, through leaked paperwork a couple years ago, clearly didn’t need to happen in Pittsburgh because they did a nice job of lining their own pockets.

I went to Pittsburgh in 2010 for the first time and attended a game at PNC. I was blown away. Based on the beauty of the park and the surrounding area, that team deserves a trip to the playoffs EVERY season. I became an instant fan, rooting for them from Boston because they just seemed so much more interesting that Yankees-Red Sox, Yankees-Red Sox.

I hate that the team is run so poorly and I’m not going to claim that I’m as disappointed in the team this year (and last) as you, but my God do they need to get their shit together. I’m tired of watching teams with talented rosters simply blow it for the last 10 weeks of the season.

Do they need a new manager? Maybe, but Clint Hurdle IS a good manager. Colorado 2007, anyone?

Do they need a new GM? Perhaps, but how about their scouting and development programs?

I want them to finish at least at .500 this year and it’s looking really bad right now. But again, at least you’re not a fan of KC, Cleveland, Seattle, or even Oakland for the simple fact that while yes, they’re AMAZING, but they always have the threat of moving to another town and leaving their fans high and dry.

3. hojo20 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

And as Neil Best of Newsday said, all this money being thrown around will eventually hit our cable bills.

• mjames1229 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

And to take it a step further, eventually (it still may take years) but there will likely be an a la carte cable offering, and all the grandmas and college professors that don’t care for sports will drop ESPN and the local sports channels.

THEN just watch to see what happens to the cable bills for the rest of us.

• jarathen - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I don’t pay for cable (just internet), so it doesn’t hit my bill – I just can’t watch any TBS baseball.

• sportsdrenched - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I’m doing the same thing now. But it’s just like Moneyball. We’ve found a “market inefficiency” in our viewing entertainment market. With MLB.tv, Netflix, and OTA Channels my family and I have enough to watch.

However, don’t think the Internet/Cable (because most internet providers are also the cable company) companies don’t notice that. Right NOW this is a less expensive way to watch games and other shows. However, don’t think the market won’t adjust at some point. I forsee that at the same time Cable/Sat goes to Al-a-cart, IP will start charging a flat fee + how much bandwidth you use and I fear that the cost will eventually be a toss up. Between cable/sat and streaming over the internet.

Sunday Night Baseball used to free on ESPN3, now I have to subsribe to ESPN to get it.

4. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Now Ruben can say ESPN, FOX and TBS are paying Ryan Howard’s contract.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Arod’s contract is also covered as well as Vernon’s.

• bleedgreen - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

TBS? So the BRAVES are paying for Ryan Howard?

5. kevinleaptrot - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Maybe now the Giants and the Dodgers can afford to pay for adequate security so that folks can go to the game and not have to fear getting a beat down in the restroom or parking lot.

6. bleedgreen - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hopefully they get a clause put in that puts an end to the blackouts on MLB.tv. If I pay for it, I should be able to watch my home team.

• sportsdrenched - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Or that lame “Exclusive Window” on Saturday afternoon or evening…or whenever FOX determines they want their exclusivity.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That will never happen because MLB.tv doesn’t have its own feeds (Except postseason), it only streams the feeds of all MLB broadcast licensees. OF COURSE they won’t give you the feed to the team local to your region whether they are playing home or away because then the broadcaster is competing with itself on the internet.

At that point MLB.tv becomes the vehicle of their demise, why pay cable to watch the same feed you can see on the internet? Hence local BLACKOUT. I’m pretty sure it’s not MLB.tv that’s responsible for it, but put there by COMCAST, TBS, YES, NESN, ROGERS, etc.

• cur68 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

And yet it is easy to get around the local blackout if you want to: this makes MLB TV better.

• rarson - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM

So the broadcaster should stream the game themselves over their own website. This is what NBC does with Sunday Night Football. It’s one of the things I like about NBC’s football coverage. I shouldn’t have to miss a game because I can’t watch it over the internet.

• sportsdrenched - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

@rarson

The difference is SNF is on an over the air channel. You’re not getting anything free in real time on the internet without breaking your “terms of usuage” clause.

Now, what is nice. Is ESPN archives all of their college football games. I have made good use of that this season.

• jarathen - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Don’t get me started on exclusivity and blackouts. I have had mlb.tv this year. I may or may not do radio next year, but TV is a no. Being blacked out of SIX teams in Iowa (though none of the teams are in Iowa), plus Saturday games just kills it. It’s been fun at times, but there are too many exceptions.

7. raysfan1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Dear Rays,
    This will be remembered and brought up if you don’t find an upgrade in offense, especially at 1B.

8. chill1184 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

“Alright! With the contract extended for Fox I can listen to the great baseball insights of Joe Buck”

– no one

• rarson - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Joe Buck AND Tim McCarver!

9. tmohr - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

“…Fox will retain rights to the World Series …”

To paraphrase the great Genya Ravan (Google her, kids):

“Who do I have to f**k to get the World Series off Fox?”

10. hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Oh good, I hope this means more TBS in the playoffs. I can’t get enough of the Big Bang Theory commercials. They beat it into my head for weeks each year and I have yet to watch the show. Is it just me or does TBS not run the same commercial during breaks for their own shows more than any other station?

• mjames1229 - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Now if those omni-present “Men of a Certain Age” commercials would have brought in enough viewers to keep that show with us…

11. rarson - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I hate Fox’s baseball coverage with a passion; I hate Joe Buck, I hate Tim McCarver, I hate Cletus the stupid robot. I hate how the two of them talk about everything other than the baseball game. I hate how their inept camera people often miss shots. Nothing immediately turns me off like a Fox baseball broadcast. Why the hell does MLB keep letting Fox broadcast the World Series? Money, obviously.

Well, I’ll be watching the World Series with the TV on mute.

12. willclarkgameface - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I hate Joe Buck.
    I hate Tim McCarver.
    TBS is ridiculous with their playoff coverage and Don Orsillo being allowed to join them.
    For that matter, ESPN sucks donkey balls as well. I can’t even remember the last time I actually sat through that nightmare they call “Baseball Tonight”.

Who has the best coverage? I’m not even sure anymore because we’ve been forced to deal with LAME broadcasters for so long that I don’t even know what it’s like to have real personalities in the booth anymore.

What I would like to have happen is someone take EVERYTHING Vin Scully has ever muttered into a microphone, digitize it, create a response/reaction robot to do calls and just let the robot of Vin Scully do World Series games FOREVERMORE.

Everyone else just sucks.

13. xmatt0926x - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

For the people who hate the Fox team, have you seen the TBS playoff studio show? it just doesn’t get worse than that and I sincerely hope that part of this new contract was the demand that David Wells be no longer allowed to be part of that show. He, and that show in general are just not watchable. It’s only my love of playoff baseball that allows me to get through it. That jet black mullet on Eckersley doesn’t help either.

14. schmedley69 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

They’ve also announced that they have renewed their contract with Tim McCarver through the year 2083.

Orioles turn AL East on its head