Sep 20, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Alex Avila was missing from the Tigers’ lineup for the second straight game Tuesday night and it was revealed after the Tigers’ 12-2 victory that Avila is suffering from mild concussion symptoms.
The catcher took an elbow to the side of the head from first baseman Prince Fielder during Sunday’s game against the Indians. Avila said Monday that the blow knocked him out and he remembered nothing but assistant athletic trainer Steve Carter yelling his name.
The loss of memory accompanied by the headaches he began having after taking batting practice Monday in Chicago indicated it might be a head injury rather than a sprained jaw, which was the initial diagnosis.
He should be on the DL and out for the year. And given all we’ve learned about concussions recently, the term “mild concussion” should be out of the sportswriter’s lexicon altogether. These are brain injuries, pure and simple, and suggesting that any injury to one’s brain is “mild” is misleading in the extreme, especially when accompanied by memory loss and unconsciousness.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)