See the trailer to the new Jackie Robinson movie, “42”

Sep 20, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT

Boseman as Robinson

I’m not the best judge of movies based on trailers, but after watching the trailer to “42,” the new Jackie Robinson biopic coming out next April, I’m quite optimistic and enthused.  You can watch the trailer here.

Chadwick Boseman plays Robinson. Harrison Ford plays Branch Rickey.  Based on the trailer, it’s the first time Ford has actually acted with some sort of fun and emotion since the “we’ve come to see zee tapestries” scene from “Last Crusade.”  It would be very cool to see him finally embrace his inner character actor, and maybe he’s doing it here.

Yeah, I’m gonna go see this. Are you?

1. butchhuskey - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

There is a recent disturbing trend of period piece movies using hip hop songs in their trailers.

• indaburg - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Why is this disturbing? I think Jay-Z’s track with its urgent marching band really captures the anger boiling under Jackie’s serene façade. While hip hop wasn’t around during Jackie’s time, both are sources of significant pride for the African-American community.

The trailer looks awesome. I can’t wait ’til next April to see it.

• butchhuskey - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I agree that the trailer looks good – I just find it distracting when films that take place in the past use very modern music in their advertising. Plus, I guess I just don’t like this Jay-Z song in particular because of the irritating “Brooklyn, we go hard” chorus and inane lyrics like “I father, I Brooklyn Dodger them.”

That said, it looks like Chadwick Boseman was a strong choice and I hope the film doesn’t disappoint.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I don’t care what the type of music is, be it hip-hop, be-bop or whatever, but the music should match the period the film is set in. Pride is nice. Jews are proud of Benny Goodman and England of the Fab Four but a Civil War film with Big Band tunes, or The King’s Speech with Beatles songs would be, simply, wrong.

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Ah, to each their own. To me, it would depend on how it was done and the reason for it. If the movie shows Jackie Robinson turning on the radio and Jay-Z is playing, that would be jarring and factually incorrect. In the trailer though, I don’t have a problem with it. They’re trying to appeal to a mass market and that includes the young’uns.

2. sheriffpeyton18 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Can’t wait to see it!! Ford is one the greatest American actors!

3. frank433 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I wonder is Johnny Sain will be portrayed in this. He was the first MLB pitcher that Jackie Robinson faced.

4. raysfan1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Absolutely going to see this!

• raysfan1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

i expect this movie probably starts with Robinson as a Montreal Royal, but I’d really like it if they portrayed a little of his time in the military and at UCLA. i do hope they show just how hard it was for him to restrain himself from lashing out at the ignorance and hate that surrounded him.

5. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’m not much of a Quicktime fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCduxL8ELwQ

6. husky2score - Sep 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Oh yea baby I’m seeing this one!

7. emauro28 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Amazing trailer I m use agree’ I just hope they try and tell the true story rather then the story that will sell best! Jackie Robinson changed culture not just baseball!

8. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I can’t stand hip-hop in any form. I prefer music. I will, however, endure it if I must to see this film. Boseman looks like the next Denzel Washington.

• Old Gator - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM

PS – henceforth all baseball biopics will simply be titled with the uniform number of the player whose life they purport to depict. I can’t wait till someone rents what they think is the Mickey Mantle movie.

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM

You’re bad. :-) “What did Mickey Mantle do to Gwyneth Paltrow’s head?”

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I’m not the biggest hip hop fan in the world–the genre tends to be too mysoginistic for my taste, and most of the stuff in the radio is just corporate shill. At the same time, some of the older stuff can be pretty good. A Tribe Called Quest is one of my favorite groups. They combine a lot of jazz elements and the lyrics, while kind of dirty, can be surprisingly esoteric for rap. One of their songs even references Natalie Wood and John Steinbeck. Trust me, those two are not well known in the hood (I grew up in the Bronx, and yes, I hate the Yankees). Public Enemy has some good stuff too. Powerful, political, and angry. I don’t always agree with them, but their lyrics resonate. Of course, no history of hip hop would be complete without the Beastie Boys. They started out as three idiots who created a masterpiece (as the NYT put it) with their first album, and their music involved and became increasingly complex and deep as they aged.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Go back even further, Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Kool Keith, Kool Herc. The 80s were a great time when it was basically just free styling over a continuous beat. Then as you mentioned Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys, but even early LL Cool J, the Fat Boys, Run DMC (aka everyone on Def Jam records) was good. It all went downhill after 2pac.

Some later stuff that’s great is Pharcyde, Arrested Development, Digible Planets, but my fav is The Coup. Me and Jesus the Pimp along with the embedded vid are two of my favs:

• indaburg - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. I am not familiar with The Coup, but I’ll check out more of their stuff. Speaking of Def Jam, this thread put me in the mood. I was cranking out my Def Jam 10th anniversary CDs this morning on my way to work.

Three legends off to Cooperstown