The White Sox are encouraging naps

Sep 20, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Cat Nap

If I was a free agent and I was looking for a team that suited my needs, it’d be harder to find a better place to land than the south side of Chicago. Because as Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports, they encourage naps:

White Sox director of conditioning Allen Thomas thinks a 30-minute window can make a huge difference in a player’s energy level. Thomas said the team not only has reduced the workload of players’ specific workouts, but he also encourages them to find a pillow in the clubhouse or at the hotel whenever possible.

“There’s a whole lot of power in a 15-minute nap,” said Thomas, who is in his 10th season as director. “When you plug your battery back in for a few minutes, you still get some charge. Guys are doing a lot more contrast: we’re doing the hot tub, cold tub and just cutting down their volume of work. You try to get better efficiency out of a fewer number of reps and use the energy for the main event.”

1. darthicarus - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m printing this article out & putting it in our “Employee Suggestion” box. I fully expect a camera to be pointed at my desk next week.

2. jdd428 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Doesn’t seem to be working – all the hitters instead decided to take their naps in the batter’s box against Bruce Chen last night.

3. natslady - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Will it? Waiting to see pink slips for the umps in Nats-Dodgers Game 2.

• sandpiperair - Sep 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM

It didn’t get Mike Francesa fired. In fact, he’s making a fortune.

4. baseballisboring - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

America would be a far better place if this was the norm.

• Ben - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I really never got the Protestant work ethic thing. Work is just a means to life, not the other way around. And naps are one of the most pleasurable things we as a species have invented.

• baseballisboring - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not to mention they’re actually good for your body. Sometimes I feel better after a 30 minute nap than I do after 8 hours of sleep.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

With you on the naps/sleeping Ben. I have a buddy who actually sets his alarm on Saturday mornings just for the pleasure of turning it off and crawling back to bed for a little more nightie night time.

• willclarkgameface - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I think most of the American workforce (and I am a part of that) is always on a nap. We’re some lazy bastards here in this country.

• Ben - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No, no we’re not. In terms of hours worked and productivity, the US is at the top of the first world. Compared to Europe we get no meaningful vacation or maternity/paternity time. And we do it all for stagnating wages.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That’s interesting. A few months ago there was a report on CNN/MSNBC/something website that talked about how could we get American workers back to a 40 hour work week. When some friends from overseas read it, they asked if American’s need to work up to 40 hours per the article? Everyone laughed once they realized we tend to work far too much during the week.

Does anyone here actually work only 40 hours?

5. cur68 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I use one of my breaks at work for a nap. Have done for years. When your shift is 12 hours long a nap keeps you from killing anyone. Given the wear on tear on pro-athletes I think a nap’s a great idea.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Where do you work that you can nap? Sign me up.

• cur68 - Sep 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

In an NICU.

6. temporarilyexiled - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Bud Selig likes this idea. And shuffleboard. And tapioca…

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Watch what you say about tapioca, mothereffer!!!

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

What, I mentioned wonderful tapioca in the same line as Bud Selig? Okay. I’m sorry.

7. deathmonkey41 - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That freakin’ kitten picture is awesome.

• townballblog - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Ditto. I’d like to nominate it for picture of the year.

8. townballblog - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Reblogged this on Town Ball and commented:
    Cute Kittie

9. gammagammahey - Sep 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Come on, Craig. No rubbing it in that you can also pop off for a nap if your job is blogging about baseball? Or are you trying not to tip off the suits at NBC?

10. IdahoMariner - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

“I can see it. Which always makes me wonder why falling asleep at work will get you fired.”

Um, Craig, I am a huge fan of yours…but, please correct me if I am wrong, you were pretty pissed at Griffey when it came out that he had napped in the clubhouse … Even though his teams had been allowing it since his first go around with the mariners. And way back then, it was kind of viewed as one of the things that helped him be great, with Junior himself acknowledging that he needed naps to feel like he could perform well. But when it happened a couple of years ago, it was terrible, shameful, an embarrassment… And you thought he should be kicked off the team for it. Just two of your quotes on it, the first from a report that junior had been hired by the Ms before the 2011 season to do some usual former star stuff off the field, the second from the day after you first wrote about the napping incident (couldn’t find that post, even clicking on the link):

That seems like a lot of responsibilities for a dude who can’t make it through a game without napping.

My response to this story yesterday was that you need to cut Griffey or urge him to retire because you simply can’t be a Major League ballplayer and sleep on the job.

I promise I am not trying to be a jerk…actually, the opposite. One of the reasons I am a huge fan is because you actually seem willing to test the things you think and change and evolve where appropriate. It’s just that you came down on Junior pretty hard (probably subconsciously motivated by his terrible performance on the field more than the napping), and you didn’t acknowledge the change in your thinking in this post, which you usually do. A small thing, and one probably only a handful of readers would notice(people who nap and Ms fans), but it struck me just the same. Anyway…sorry for the wordiness over a small thing. I probably just need a nap. Keep up the good work, Mr. C.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Griffey was doing it during games and it pissed off his teammates who were not afforded such treatment. The White Sox training staff is encouraging players to do this earlier in the day.

I’m not sure how those things are comparable.

• IdahoMariner - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I get your point, given that apparently two of his 2010 teammates had a problem with it. Given that no one had expressed a problem with it before then, and there had actually been contemporaneous arcticles basically approving of it (or at least treating it as an entertaining quirk of a superstar player) and containing a quote from Lou P. that didn’t seem to disapprove of it (i can go find it if you’d like) when he was with the Ms the first time, that’s the only, possibly meaningful, difference. Especially in light of the strength of your language, which didn’t allow for anyone in MLB napping in the clubhouse, regardless of whether their peers approved or not. Language which mirrors that usually used by bosses in “regular” jobs, a stance that keeps them from making changes in their workplaces to improve quality of life and productivity. And that’s what struck me, that’s all. Not a criticism, just an observation….on a very, very small point, so I don’t mean to create a kerfuffle where there is none.

BTW, I totally approve of naps, in moderation, on the job. We all do better work when we are rested, and I think that’s true of ball players, even during a game. Imagine how much better they all would’ve played the 18-inning game the other night, if during the first nine innings, a few of them would’ve taken a catnap? Well, actually, maybe I take that back, since from an Ms fan’s perspective, they lost because a) Baltimore is magic b) Eric wedge needed a nap, or something, to help him break his dependency on the bunt and to keep him from wasting Jaso completely and c) the ump behind home needed a nap. And players napping wouldn’t have helped that. Maybe saunders wouldn’t have tried to steal second base last night….

• IdahoMariner - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Oh, and double the kudos on the kitten photo. It’s awesome, in ways that are inexplicable (I mean, we’ve all seen these photos,but this one has made me smile every time I have scrolled by today. Weird).

11. sillyv6 - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

You ever listen to one of their broadcast? That will put you right out!!

Orioles turn AL East on its head