The White Sox are going to decline Jake Peavy’s 2013 option

Sep 20, 2012, 3:00 PM EST

Jake Peavy Getty Images

Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox are not going to exercise Jake Peavy‘s 2013 option.

Makes sense give that the option is for $22 million, which is way too much for almost every pitcher out there.  Peavy will get a $4 million buyout on the option.

And he’ll make decent money in free agency this year after showing that he’s got his groove back.  To date he’s thrown 198 and two-thirds innings, putting any concerns about his durability after his injury-plagued past few years.  And he’s been good too, posting a 3.26 ERA, a WHIP of 1.112 and striking out 177.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

When I have seen him pitch, he has looked very good. He is due for a decent contract from someone.

• mattyflex - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

For what it’s worth, I watched an in-game interview with him two weeks ago, in which he went on and on and on for about three minutes talking about what a great baseball program Kansas City is building. Believe he said “lots of young talent, lots of character, a fun team to watch. As you know, the Royals are in the market for a starting pitcher (or roughly five). GMDM already promised a top tier off-season pitching acquisition, I see potential here. I think I would rather see Edwin Jackson, but Peavy would do just fine.

2. number42is1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I’d be shocked if he didnt end up on the Sox (Red)

• scatterbrian - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

A buck gets you ten he signs with the Dodgers.

• escapingexile - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

You beat me to it. I’m thinking a front end of Kershaw, Greinke, and Peavy wouldn’t be too bad.

• jolink653 - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

You forgot to mention Josh Beckett

• number42is1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

i doubt it. the Sox unloaded all that money they are not going to let a guy like Peavy get away

• escapingexile - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Just because they have money to spend, doesn’t necessarily mean anyone will be chomping at the bit to take part in that train wreck.

3. hansob - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

geez. $18M ($4M is sunk) for Peavy seems like a pretty decent deal considering he’s healthy and you don’t have long term risk.

4. rockthered1286 - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hear that? It’s the Yanks front office opening their bottomless velcro wallet. Or maybe they keep their blank checks in a pleather fanny pack.

• number42is1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

A buck gets you ten he DOESN’T go to the yanks and they dont make a real offer

5. blackandbluedivision - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me, if he re-signed for less.

6. workerandparasite - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

As a White Sox fan I will not miss him handing the ball to Ventura in the sixth inning with an anguished look on his face and trailing by 2 runs. He is Javier Vazquez 2.0.

1. J. Santana (2659)