Yep, Keith Hernandez’s mustache is going bye-bye

Sep 20, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Keith Hernandez Cardinals

I had hoped it was only a cruel, unfounded rumor, but no, it’s true:

Keith Hernandez’s mustache, which in 2007 was voted the American Mustache Institute’s greatest sports mustache of all time and earlier the same year won Newsday’s “Mustache Madness” contest, will be shaved off before the Mets ‘ final home game Sept. 27.

The event, open to the public and scheduled for approximately 11:45 a.m. in the plaza outside Citi Field , will be sponsored by Schick Hydro, with proceeds benefiting the Jacqueline Hernandez Adult Day Center in Brooklyn’s Cobble Hill . It is named for Hernandez’s mother.

I’m not sure how one gets “proceeds” to such an event when it’s open to the public, but I’ll leave the good people of Schick to figure that out.

Kind of sad. Young people don’t realize this, but there was a time in baseball when just about every damn player had a mustache. Go look at a set of 1988 Donruss or something and count the mustaches. Actually, count the guys without one. That would be way easier.

Oh well. At least Dennis Eckersley still has his.

1. mybrunoblog - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

After the mustache is finally removed someone from the back of the room will say ” and now it belongs to the ages”.

2. kicksave1980 - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Man that’s gonna look weird. Every time I think of 80’a baseball players, though, I still think of Clu Heywood from Major League.

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Hopefully the ‘stache will be reassembled and placed on a plaque to be displayed in Cooperstown.

4. number42is1 - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

5. sometimesimisscandlestick - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I take it that it hasn’t gone gray…

6. gregbeau - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

No, it’s gone totally gray. I think that’s why he’s losing it. He lost his deal with Just For Men after they changed ad campaigns to the stupid baby in a tuxedo. He stopped using the stuff and this year it has gone to its now-natural gray and he hates it. I sympathize because I have the same problem now with my ‘stache and am thinking of doing the same.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

But, but… Mr. Scott had a Gray ‘Stache too. It looked dignified.

• indaburg - Sep 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

That baby creeps the hell out of me.

Since Hernandez doesn’t object to dyeing his hair, why can’t he just pay the $6.99 for the box? Personally, I think gray on a guy is kind of sexy, but our culture is so youth obsessed.

• vanmorrissey - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Exactly. Been there, done that. ‘stache for over 25 years gone once it started getting mostly white. Hair on top still dark so that’s a weird look.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Is he boycotting Just For Men because they dropped him? Seems like it would be pretty easy to just keep dying it and not let a great mustache die.

7. skipperxc - Sep 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Having moved to Rochester, NY, I recently received the most peculiar housewarming present: a team photo of the 1973 Rochester Red Wings, then an affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles. It turned out I’d never heard of anybody on the team, though it contained that year’s International League MVP Jim Fuller (.247/.342/.542, 39 HR, 108 RBI, 197 Ks in 144 G/595 AB), 3B Doug DeCinces finished 3rd in the 1982 AL MVP vote, and a handful of other eventual major leaguers dotted the roster.

At first blush, however, my eyes were drawn not to the list of names below the photo, but rather the spectacular array of follicular adornment. It’s breathtaking, really.

8. kelshannon19 - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

IM Keith Hernandez.

9. mazblast - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Mustaches had virtually disappeared from MLB until Charlie Finley PAID his Oakland players to grow them as part of a promotion in 1972. The players (including Reggie Jackson, Sal Bando, Catfish Hunter, Ken Holtzman, Joe Rudi, and of course Rollie Fingers) loved it and kept the facial hair, possibly because they got so much flak about it in opposing cities. It may have been the only thing they ever liked that came from Finley.

In fact, the 1972 World Series in some respects became a culture war, with the oh-so-self-righteous and clean-shaven Reds up against those “evil” “hippie” “communist” A’s (I live in Cincinnati, and this really is how it was portrayed). History tells us that the forces of “evil” won.

10. uschawk - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I despise Keith Hernandez – Newman

11. deathmonkey41 - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Roger McDowell was the second spitter on the gravelly road.

12. ugglasforearms - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

“Keith Hernandez’s mustache, which in 2007 was voted the American Mustache Institute’s greatest sports mustache of all time…”

I must be missing something. Why would Hernandez’s stache win this, over… say Rollie Fingers’ mustache?

13. rdav29 - Sep 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM

No play…for Mr. Gray

14. kevinbnyc - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

First Don Mattingly, now Keith, will Jeff Kent shave his on Survivor next week? He might be the last great baseball mustache.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3302)