Sep 21, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs if Milwaukee gets there, but the Brewers have added some backup catching help for the final two weeks by acquiring Yorvit Torrealba from the Blue Jays for cash considerations.
Torrealba was released by the Rangers in early August after they traded for Geovany Soto to replace him as their No. 2 catcher and eventually agreed to a minor-league contract with the Blue Jays. He was called up on August 21 and played 10 games for Toronto, hitting .217 with a .588 OPS.
Torrealba will be a free agent after the season, so don’t expect the “cash” part of cash considerations to be a whole lot. He probably won’t get more than a handful of plate appearances for Milwaukee playing behind Jonathan Lucroy.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)