Sep 21, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs if Milwaukee gets there, but the Brewers have added some backup catching help for the final two weeks by acquiring Yorvit Torrealba from the Blue Jays for cash considerations.
Torrealba was released by the Rangers in early August after they traded for Geovany Soto to replace him as their No. 2 catcher and eventually agreed to a minor-league contract with the Blue Jays. He was called up on August 21 and played 10 games for Toronto, hitting .217 with a .588 OPS.
Torrealba will be a free agent after the season, so don’t expect the “cash” part of cash considerations to be a whole lot. He probably won’t get more than a handful of plate appearances for Milwaukee playing behind Jonathan Lucroy.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)