Sep 21, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs if Milwaukee gets there, but the Brewers have added some backup catching help for the final two weeks by acquiring Yorvit Torrealba from the Blue Jays for cash considerations.
Torrealba was released by the Rangers in early August after they traded for Geovany Soto to replace him as their No. 2 catcher and eventually agreed to a minor-league contract with the Blue Jays. He was called up on August 21 and played 10 games for Toronto, hitting .217 with a .588 OPS.
Torrealba will be a free agent after the season, so don’t expect the “cash” part of cash considerations to be a whole lot. He probably won’t get more than a handful of plate appearances for Milwaukee playing behind Jonathan Lucroy.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)