Sep 21, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Barring an amazing hot streak to overtake the Nationals in the NL East the Braves will be matched up against the other Wild Card team in a one-game playoff and Chipper Jones is not a big fan of the idea.
“I think it’s stupid, to be honest with you,” Jones said today, via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Jones went on to say that he understands the appeal and drama of the one-game playoff, but the 40-year-old future Hall of Famer with 92 career postseason games played thinks one game is too much of a crap shoot:
But Major Lague Baseball wants a bunch of teams in the playoffs. There’s nothing like cut-throat baseball for the fans. And people love that 163rd regular-season game. They’ve loved it in the past. I’m sure that’s probably what’s promoted a second wild-card team. I wish they would’ve done it a year earlier so we would have had a chance last year. But it is what it is.
You say to yourself, we could possibly have the second- or third-best record in the National League when the season’s over and we have to play a one-game playoff just to get in. That doesn’t seem fair because anything can happen. Now if you were to say the two wild-card teams will play a best two-out-of-three, I’d be OK with that. … I think it’s more fair from a standpoint that anything can happen in one game – a blown call by an umpire, a bad day at the office … at least in a two-of-three-game series you have some sort of leeway.
That’s a very stat-heady, Billy Beane-like take on the whole thing (you know, small sample sizes and all). I tend to agree with Chipper and wonder how the overall reaction to the Wild Card-related changes in the postseason format will change if a team like the Braves wins, say, 93 games only to lose a one-game playoff to a team with, say, 85 wins.
They’re basically coin-flipping to get into the “real” playoffs and that’s an awful lot of fun to watch, no doubt, but it’s going to make for some very disappointed losing teams.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)