Sep 21, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw threw a 20-pitch bullpen session this afternoon and manager Don Mattingly indicated that there’s a chance he could return from a hip injury to start for the Dodgers as soon as Sunday.
That would be a huge change from just a few days ago, when the Dodgers feared Kershaw might need season-ending hip surgery that would likely sideline him into 2013.
As for who’ll make the call regarding Kershaw’ availability, Mattingly said:
It’s going to have to be the medical people saying he’s passed every test and he’s cleared every hurdle. It’s not going to be my decision. It’s an organizational decision with Clayton. Does it make sense? That’s really more than a manager’s decision. When you have a guy with his kind of arm and his upside, you’re not going to leave that decision only in my hands.
That sounds about right. Don Mattingly is a lot of things, but doctor isn’t one of them and allowing Kershaw to pitch through a hip injury that had everyone in Los Angeles holding their breath all week would be a major decision.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 17
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?