Cliff Lee and Jonathan Papelbon are late-night poker pals

Sep 21, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT

poker_after_dark

Here’s an amusing little tidbit from Philadelphia Daily News gossip columnist Dan Gross:

Before the Phillies left for Houston, Cliff Lee brought fellow pitcher Jonathan Papelbon to Harrah’s in Chester to play poker. Lee’s a regular at Harrah’s poker room, usually playing late at night.

That’s legal, of course, as opposed to Alex Rodriguez‘s appearances at underground poker games last year, although I’m sure MLB isn’t exactly thrilled about players gambling legally either.

I’m guessing Cliff Lee is pretty good at poker. Probably has a lot of patience, probably very precise, probably knows the math and strategy well.

1. El Bravo - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

“I’m guessing Jonathan Papelbon re-raises everything pre-flop, goes all-in constantly for like 10 times more than he needs to bet, and then flips over the table whenever he doesn’t win a big pot.”

Awesome. Quote of the day right there.

2. number42is1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I used to play at this spot on the corner of W. 72nd and Amsterdam with Arod. of course we were not at the same table seeing as how he was playing 1k-2k and i was playing 1/2 (no k)

3. bennyandthemets - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Cliff Lee probably doesn’t win many hands

• number42is1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Wins dont matter

• bennyandthemets - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

touche

4. psousa1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

At least it didn’t say they get together for late night hookups

• jeffhink - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

So what if they did?

5. hansob - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’ve heard that Papelbon slow-plays EVERY HAND.

• chicitybulls - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

And? I saw them complaining about that on espn’s world series of poker. I dont get why people have a problem with that or why that is considered taboo or whatever. I mean you can bet how you want right? People bluff big time. I have more of a problem with that than I do “slow playing”. Seriously, what is the issue with that? Just looking for an answer. They really didn’t say why when I was watching.

6. yankeesgameday - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Papelbon: worst poker face ever.

7. exibitsman - Sep 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Must be nice to have extra cash to play poker every night i am sick of these overpaid asswholes

8. sdsockers - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

After going back and reading the prior story about A-Rod nd his poker playing, I don’t think hat saying he played in “underground poker games” is accurate. It sounded like several professionas were there, playing with him. And these games are also not illegal at all, as long as the Host isn’t profiting from the ‘rake’ (a small percentage from each pot).

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3609)